Seniors’ wall collapses
The elderly at Bellavista Old Age Home are left feeling vulnerable after the complex wall collapsed on Wednesday, March 9.
THE elderly at the Bellavista Old Age Home once again feel vulnerable as the brick wall collapsed for the second time within a space of three years.
The one-lined brick wall collapsed two years ago but it took a very long time to be rebuilt. The elderly do not have the patience to wait, as the collapse has left the complex open at the back.
The elderly said they need help from any person or any organisation that can help them rebuild their wall as they do not feel safe in a property that has a collapsed wall and razor wire fence lying on the ground.
“The wall did not seem to be built rigid enough to stand against the heavy rains and winds. The wall was built with mud or clay and with one line. It would have been stronger if it was a nine-inches (about 23cm) thick wall – in other words a proper double brick wall. It is cheap labour that the council did here,” said a disappointed Sakkie Bezuidenhout.
The COURIER visited the complex on Thursday, 10 March, to view the wall and speak to the elderly, who said they need an urgent solution as they are no longer fit enough to rebuild the wall on their own or fight off trespassers. Retirement Homes Caretaker Johanna Jacobs said she had also visited the complex and lodged an enquiry for the wall to be fixed.
DA Ward 56 Clr Rashieda Landis said, “I was not aware of it and I will go and have a look so I can have the housing department go do something to fix the wall urgently.”
While help might be on its way, the elderly are not convinced and need action, as they previously waited for a long time for their wall to be erected. They ask that people or organisations wishing to help contact Johannes Nest on 073 647 2595 or Trevor Abrahims on 073 282 3757 or Sakkie Bezuidenhout on 076 977 5882.
The Department of Housing was contacted for comment but at the time of going to press nothing was received.
Read more:




