Multi-million rand KZN guardrail theft syndicate bust
The suspected kingpin in the guardrail theft syndicate was arrested at his warehouse in Jacobs on August 19.
THE theft of guardrails and replacing them on KZN roads are costing the Department of Transport millions of rand per year as perpetrators continue to steal the infrastructure in the province.
The latest development in the fight against the theft came after a man suspected of being a kingpin in the guardrail theft syndicate was arrested at his warehouse in Jacobs on August 19.
Also read: Prasa launches vigorous safety campaign against vandalism and infrastructure theft
The arrest was made after the department noticed that guardrails worth millions of rand are continually being stolen from its 34 000km road network.
MEC for Transport and Human Settlements Siboniso Duma said the department assigned a team to launch an investigation.
Department launched probe following massive theft of guardrails
“We wish to report to the people of KwaZulu-Natal that a suspected kingpin who owns a warehouse has been arrested. The owner was identified by his runners, who were arrested last week following an intelligence-driven operation. We wish to acknowledge the excellent execution of the operation by our specialised security team and the SAPS Organised Crime Unit,” said Duma.
KZN Department of Transport welcomes arrest of alleged kingpin
He said the arrest marks the beginning of the dismantling of the largest heartless criminal syndicate behind the deaths of innocent people.

“Our Road Traffic Inspectorate team regularly responds to horrific rollover accidents, especially those that occur after out-of-control vehicles slide down embankments. Over the years, more than R500m has been invested in the erection and maintenance of guardrails across our road network, which spans more than 34 000km throughout the province,” he said.
According to the department, guardrails and their end terminals are engineered to absorb the kinetic energy generated by a moving vehicle travelling at speed along a freeway.
Also read: Theft of copper cables linked to truck accidents
Duma said the removal and absence of guardrails leave motorists vulnerable to violent crashes that have resulted in the deaths of innocent people.

The investigation team will establish the following:
● Any possible link between the kingpin and companies awarded contracts to replace guardrails.
● Any possible link between the kingpin and staff members within the Department of Transport.
● Any possible link between the kingpin and the tow truck industry.
● Any possible links with scrapyards.
The two runners who were arrested in connection with the removal and theft of guardrails appeared in KwaDukuza Magistrate’s Court on August 19.
Suspects appear in court on charges of theft and tampering with infrastructure
The two suspects who appeared in court, and the alleged kingpin, face charges of theft and tampering with critical infrastructure. Their bail application was postponed to September 23.

Departmental spokesperson Ndabazinhle Sibiya said the team is undertaking more work to link the suspects to more cases of the theft of guardrails across all corners of the province and other provinces.
Also read: Can rumble strips reduce road accidents?
“By and large, we have made a giant leap towards the dismantling of the guardrail mafia. The suspects have violated the Critical Infrastructure Protection Act 2019 and contravened section 3(1) (a) of the Criminal Matters Amendment Act 18 of 2015, read with section 51(2) of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 105 of 1997,” said Sibiya.
He said the department is now using the Presidential Proclamation to undertake more investigations to determine any link between the guardrail mafia and employees of the Department of Transportation.
“It will enable us to integrate more resources and skills from teams representing Hawks, the Special Investigative Unit, and Asset Forfeiture Units. This integration will help us to eradicate essential infrastructure crimes within the construction sector,” said Sibiya.
He urged the public to unite against crime that is not only looting taxpayers’ money but also behind the economic sabotage.
“They are the biggest threat to socio-economic development and service delivery in KwaZulu-Natal and the whole country,” Sibiya added.
For more Southlands Sun news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and get news delivered straight to your inbox.




