Young contractor’s death mourned
Operations temporarily suspended at RBM after contractor dies

THE tragic onsite death of contractor Sifiso Simphiwe Praisegod Ngubane last week, sent a shockwave over the 30-year-old’s circle of friends, colleagues and family members.
Ngubane worked directly for labour broker New Adventure, but was contracted as a bulldozer operator at Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) for the past seven years.
He was helping to move a bulk material handling machine, called a stacker, at RBM’s Mining Pond C when the terrible accident occurred last Wednesday.
‘We are saddened by the death of Sifiso Ngubane,’ said RBM’s staff in a statement.
‘He is survived by a seven month-old son, his brothers and sisters.’
New Adventure also said their thoughts are with Ngubane’s young family.
‘This was a very unfortunate accident and we extend our deepest condolences to his loved ones,’ said New Adventure spokesperson Linda Nel.
On Friday, RBM Managing Director Mpho Mothoa stated operations will be temporarily suspended and highlighted that support and counselling will be provided to the family, friends and colleagues of the deceased.
‘This untimely incident is tragic to all of us. We offer our condolences to the family and his colleagues,’ Mothoa emphasised.
The Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) Inspector of Mines visited the scene of the accident last Thursday while Mbonambi SAPS opened an inquest to investigate the matter.
10 NOVEMBER 2013
A YOUNG bulldozer operator at Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) died on Wednesday afternoon after an on-site accident involving three heavy mobile equipment machines.
SST Ngubane (30) was performing work at ‘Mining Pond C’ when the calamity occurred at 2.45pm.
7 NOVEMBER 2013
Man dies at RBM
RICHARDS Bay Minerals (RBM) released a statement this morning after a contractor died at the Mining Pond C yesterday.
‘The exact cause of the incident is being investigated. The South African Police Service (SAPS) and the Inspector of Mines have been informed,’ said Fundi Dlamini, General Manager: Community and Corporate Relations.
The deceased cannot be identified as his next of kin have yet to be notified.
Managing Director, Mpho Mothoa, said operations will be temporarily suspended and highlighted that support and counseling will be provided to the family, friends and colleagues of the deceased.
‘This untimely incident is tragic to all of us, we offer our condolences to the family and his colleagues,’ Mothoa emphasised.
Update to follow
