CrimeLocal newsNews

Tsakani rallies behind 10-year-old allegedly molested at school

Residents gathered outside Tsakane Magistrate’s Court in support of a young girl allegedly molested at school, calling for justice and greater protection of children in learning spaces.

Tsakani – The community of Tsakani rallied together for justice at the Tsakane Magistrate Court on September 9 in support of the 10-year-old learner who was allegedly molested at Nchabeleng Primary School.

It is alleged that an employee of the school molested the child several times within the school premises. The accused briefly appeared before the court on August 28.

Family friend and family representative Thobeka Poro said the family first noticed a change in the minor’s behaviour at home.

“We could see her retracting from everything that she loved, but was not vocal about the situation until two weeks ago, when her sister’s phone was off and she had to use hers.

“On the phone, her sister found inappropriate material, which she was later questioned about. The child was hesitant to reveal why she had such on her phone but eventually opened up to the family about what she had been enduring at school,” explained Poro.


Community members demand justice. Photo: Nomsa Ngubeni

“She was then taken to Pholosong Hospital, where professional health workers confirmed the incident.”

Poro cited that as a family, they are unable to cope with the situation, but are beyond grateful to see that the community supports them during their time of grief.

“All we want is justice for our child. As a family, we do not wish for any other parents to undergo such a difficult situation.
Emotionally and otherwise, we are not coping,” she added.

One of the representatives from the political party, Dolly Nkosi, said it is important for them to support the family as they have encountered a difficult situation.


Each placard had a powerful message. Photo: Nomsa Ngubeni

“As a parent and community member, I am saddened by this incident. We send our children to school, and as a result, we assume that they are safe within the learning environment.

“We do not expect school employees to treat our children differently from their own. As parents, this child’s pain has deeply touched us. We are beyond ready to support the family through what they are facing.

“This is a time for women to unite and support each other as we need one another. And fight for our children,” she emphasised.

The case was back before the court today, where the suspect was not granted bail and is set to re-appear before the court on October 11. The Tsakane SAPS had not responded to African Reporter’s enquiry at the time of publication.


At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from African Reporter in Google News and Top Stories.

Nomsa Ngubeni

I believe that I'm an outgoing and adventurous storyteller at heart, who loves being a mouthpiece for all those who cannot tell their own stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button