
They were found on Thursday, November 21, at around 3pm.
Information as to when exactly the incident occurred was not immediately available.
Benoni police officers and the Ekurhuleni Emergency Services went to the scene following a tip-off.
“Two Zimbabwean males were found dead and buried in sand,” said Benoni police spokesperson Lieut Nomsa Sekele.
Sekele said the police have opened an inquest docket.
A similar incident occurred last year, on November 24, at the same place, following heavy rains.
Three illegal miners were found dead after a mine dump collapsed on them.
There is a possibility that rain might have sparked the latest incident, as it poured down heavily on Wednesday.
Illegal miners usually sleep inside holes at the dumps and some say they do it to hide from “criminals” who rob them of gold.
However, mine dumps are dangerous during rain, as they become unstable.



