CrimeNews

Mob justice: suspected thief is necklaced

The police have opened a murder docket following the death of a suspected thief, in Actonville, on August 3.

Actonville police spokesman Capt Mack Mngomezulu said the deceased had allegedly broken into a house in the Emandleni informal settlement and stolen some items.

“We were informed that he was caught red-handed and community members came out and started assaulting him,” said Mngomezulu.

After beating him, members of the community also forced a rubber tyre, filled with petrol, around the suspect’s chest and arms, and set it alight.

The police and the paramedics arrived soon after and extinguished the fire, but the man died regardless.

Mngomezulu said the man had already suffered burns to the face.

No one has been arrested and the police are investigating.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Benoni City Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button