
The robbery and arrest took place at Benoni Plaza, in the CBD on Monday, September 5.
According to Lieut-Col Wilfred Kgasago, EMPD spokesperson, two suspects were seen running out the shop by nearby EMPD wardens and Peace Corps members, at around 9.20am.
“On noticing the two suspicious men running out of the shop at Benoni Plaza, with one of them carrying a bag, the courageous officers gave chase,” Kgasago said.
“As the one with the bag was fumbling for his firearm, a traffic warden wrestled and overpowered one of the suspects but the other one managed to escape.
“One of the suspects was arrested, a firearm recovered and all the cash robbed was recovered.”
Kgasago said reports indicated there was a third suspect involved in the robbery.
“In-depth investigations are underway to apprehend the other two suspects on the run,” he added.
The arrested 51-year-old suspect was detained at the Benoni Police Station and was charged with armed robbery and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.
He was due to appear in the Benoni Magistrate’s Court on September 6.
*The amount was previously mentioned in the article, but was removed as the publishing thereof might affect the investigation and/or court hearings.
Also read:
Five arrested and no-one injured after Golden Drive shoot-out
Police reveal drunk driving convictions
Nine illegal immigrants arrested
Follow us on these platforms:
Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.
For news straight to your phone invite us:
WhatsApp: 079 431 2006
Instagram: benonicitytimes.co.za



