CrimeLocal newsNews

Anton Bouwer murder case delayed again due to missing reports

State prosecutor Carla Britz said the State is hopeful that the results will be ready by July 29.

The murder case against Pomona businessman Anton Bouwer has been postponed yet again due to outstanding forensic reports.

A typically calm Bouwer appeared in the Gauteng High Court, sitting at the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on July 25.

State prosecutor Carla Britz informed the court that key reports, including ballistic, DNA, and fingerprint analysis, were still outstanding.

However, she said the State is hopeful that the results will be ready by July 29.

Britz indicated that she had discovered several forensic items thought to be at the laboratory for analysis had been returned to Crystal Park SAPS in a sealed package. The package reportedly went unnoticed for some time, and officers failed to inform the investigating officer about its arrival.

“The sealed package was sent back to the SAPS laboratory on July 7,” said Britz, explaining that the confusion likely stemmed from the matter involving two police stations in different areas.

Defence advocate Hugo van der Westhuizen voiced skepticism that the outstanding reports would be finalised by next week and suggested a postponement to August 26 to allow sufficient time.

Judge Cassim Moosa, however, agreed with the State’s proposal to have the matter return on July 29, stating that he is eager to see whether the reports will be submitted as expected. He warned that should the documents not be produced, the court will make “informed decisions” going forward.

The matter was postponed to July 29.

Bouwer was arrested on January 22, 2024, after he allegedly went on a shooting spree, killing his parents, Robert (78) and Bettie (73), at their home in Bredell.

He also allegedly shot and killed his stepdaughter, Natasha (23), and the family’s domestic worker, Elizabeth Mahlangu (56), at a home in Fairleads, Benoni.

Bouwer allegedly shot his wife, Adélle (43), who was airlifted to the hospital. He then reportedly turned the gun on himself at the Fairleads’ home but survived and was later hospitalised.

Also Read: Defence considers bail application for Anton Bouwer amid trial delays

Also Read: Anton Bouwer makes a virtual court appearance

   

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Benoni City Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button