Local newsNews

Rumours of hefty hike in fees false, says UKZN

Despite relative calm at UKZN'S Howard College on Monday, lectures continued to be disrupted by protesting students.

SAPS and public order policemen (POP) were in full force at UKZN's Howard College on Monday as striking students continued their protests which commenced last week.

Students were left confused as they arrived on Monday after two days of suspended lectures last week to more protests. A first year student, who wished to remain anonymous, said a communique to students had been sent out to reassure students on Sunday. It stated, “University Management will continue engaging the Student Leadership on all matters of concern, including on issues pertaining to such aspects as residences and security, the academic programme will resume on Monday, 8 September 2014 and all students are urged to continue with their academic work and allow the normal University programmes to continue unhindered.”

“We still got chased out of class this morning. It isn't violent but they asked us to leave the lecture quite politely. A R9000 hike in fees is is ridiculous and we have all worn white t shirts to show our solidarity with students but now there is a lot of pressure on us because our tests have been cancelled,” said the concerned student.

Another first year student said she and some friends were “kicked out” of the library because they tried to study there after being chased out of lectures. “We want them to negotiate and get on with it so we can get back to work and our tests,” she said.

Erik Rush, a second year Arts and Media student felt the students had a right to strike with good reasons. “We heard the rumours of the hectic registration increase and so if it's true they are fighting for their rights and ours too!”

The Communique was issued on behalf of Dr Sibusiso Chalufu, executive director of Student Services and Bulelani Mahlangu,

UKZN'S Chief Finance Officer said the issue of the registration closing date needed to be revisited and a small task team made up of the Registrar and his team, a member of the Executive Management Committee, Student and College representatives, should be formed as early as Monday, 8 September 2014, to look into the registration closing date, together with other aspects of the 2015 sessional dates.

“University Management wishes to categorically state and re-emphasize that rumours that the registration deposit would increase by R6000 or R9000 in 2015, are false. Discussions with the Student Leadership continued on Monday, 8 September where a final decision was made and will be communicated to the University community by no later than Wednesday, 10 September 2014,” concluded the statement.

A Political Science honours student who wished to remain anonymous said there were always protests and usually around the same issues of student fee increases and residence issues. “It brings to question the way the institution is managed, especially with striking over the same issues. The dates for registration fees are important and parents register school kids in January and they are only able to budget for university registration fees at the end of February, so bringing the deadline forward puts extra pressure on parents,” she said.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button