Local newsMunicipalNews

eThekwini infrastructure flood damage calculated at R1.5b and counting

EThekwini Municipality requires over R1b to repair the damages caused by the heavy rains and subsequent floods, between February 19 and March 2. The city has yet to complete their assessment of the devastation from floods in mid-March.

ETHEKWINI is grappling with the aftermath of devastating inclement weather between February 19 and March 2, which is set to cost the city over R1b in repairs to flood-damaged municipal infrastructure.

At a press briefing on Sunday at Durban City Hall, eThekwini mayor Cyril Xaba said the municipality is still assessing the damage of the flood in mid-March while also confirming that the number of lives lost between February 19 and March 15 is sitting at 16.

“As the leadership of the city, we would like to convey our condolences to the families of the deceased. We have been working closely with the bereaved families to ensure that their loved ones receive a dignified burial,” said Xaba.

He said the floods caused extensive damage to private properties, affecting around 1452 houses and nearly 6000 people. Among the private properties affected by the recent severe weather was Morningside Primary School which saw its netball court covered in mud after heavy rains uprooted trees and caused the sandbank, the netball court fence and the entire structure to collapse. Some parts of Ward 33 were also flooded after stormwater drains failed to divert the access water resulting in flooded streets and buildings.

Also Read: Muddy havoc engulfs Morningside school netball court

“As you know, each time these flood disasters occur, they destroy our critical infrastructure which results in the interruption of the provision of basic services. The total cost for infrastructure damages arising from the floods from 19 February to 2 March are estimated at R 1.5b,” said Xaba.

He provided a detailed breakdown of the costs:

  • Roads and storm water: R35.6m
  • Roads provision: R281.7m
  • Coastal and storm water catchment: R307.7m
  • Sanitation: R330m
  • Human Settlements: R354m
  • Water operations: R6m

“We welcome the declaration of the state of disaster in the province by national government. We are hopeful that a substantial amount of the disaster grant funding will be allocated to eThekwini considering the extensive losses we have suffered,” said Xaba. “The damages caused by the March 15 floods are still being quantified and we will be able to share them with the public as soon as they become available.”

Also Read: eThekwini allocates R10-billion for infrastructure rebuilding

Last week, eThekwini announced that the municipality has allocated about R10b to rebuild its water, electricity, and solid waste management infrastructure. This came after the Minister of Finance Enoch Godongwana announced a R3.33b grant allocation to eThekwini for trading services reforms over the next three years.

The municipality said the performance grant will be used to upgrade water and sanitation, electricity, and solid waste management so as to ensure that trading services are self-sufficient.

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

Click to subscribe to our newsletter – here

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Sibongiseni Maphumulo

Sibongiseni Maphumulo joined Caxton Local Media in 2024 as a community news journalist, covering the Berea Mail distribution area. She believe in making a positive impact in people's lives through storytelling, as not all news is bad news.

Related Articles

Back to top button