Local newsNews

‘Permanent solution needed to eThekwini homeless crisis’

Following the move from Albert Park, homeless people have taken up residence at a lot on Khuzimpi Shezi Road (former Williams Road) in the Durban CBD where their future is now uncertain as calls for a permanent solution to the crisis increase.

CALLS are mounting for a permanent solution to eThekwini’s homeless people crisis following this morning’s clean-up operation of a vacant plot on Khuzimpi Shezi Road (former Williams Road) which is being occupied by those moved on from Albert Park recently.

Durban Metro Police accompanied by Durban Solid Waste (DSW) and members of the Urban Improvement Precinct (UIP) oversaw the operation where the group of homeless people had to assist in cleaning up the area following complaints from neighbouring businesses. “We had to act after receiving complaints from concerned residents and local businesses in the area,” said Metro Police spokesperson Colonel Boysie Zungu.

He said the aim of the operation was to clean up the plot. “At the moment it’s too early to confirm the success of the operation as it is still ongoing. We’ll know more by the end of the day. As Metro Police, our job is to act on complaints received and we cannot confirm whether they will continue to stay there or not.”

Durban Metro Police oversaw the clean-up on Monday morning. Photo: Sibongiseni Maphumulo

Also Read: Community, police zoom in on rampant crime in Albert Park

This was also a concern shared by members of the Safety and Emergency Services Committee who visited the area on Friday. Committee member and neighbouring Ward 33 Councillor, Fran Kristopher, said the people were asked to remove the makeshift shelters that they had put up and to clean up the area.

“We are proposing for better solutions,” said Kristopher. “Metro Captain Joshua Chetty stated that they keep clearing parks in the surrounding area, moving homeless from one end to another, however, the problems just shift and start affecting residents and businesses in that area.”

The eThekwini Safety and Emergency Services Committee and law enforcement visited the area of concern on Friday. Photo: Supplied

She added, “The City needs to come up with permanent solutions; these displacements from one eyesore to another is not resolving the issues, it’s compounding it. We are not taking responsibility for the issues we are faced with in its entirety.”

With safety remaining a key issue for residents and business, Kristopher said Umbilo CPF chairperson, Calvin Thomas, also engaged with the homeless people and stated they will be monitoring the area. “He also warned them to not interfere with the surrounding businesses and passersby. He also reiterated that this was a temporary place until the City finds permanent solutions to this problem,” said Kristopher.

When the Berea Mail arrived this morning, some of the shelters had been removed and the area was being cleaned by the homeless people living there.

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

Click to subscribe to our newsletter – here

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Sibongiseni Maphumulo

Sibongiseni Maphumulo joined Caxton Local Media in 2024 as a community news journalist, covering the Berea Mail distribution area. She believe in making a positive impact in people's lives through storytelling, as not all news is bad news.

Related Articles

Back to top button