Local newsNews

Water curtailments to be reintroduced in September

The curtailments will involve a percentage reduction in water supplied to the affected municipalities.

THE eThekwini Municipality is one of three municipalities that could be affected by planned water curtailments that will be reintroduced from Monday, September 1.

This was announced by the uMngeni-uThukela Water Board on Monday (August 18).

These curtailments will affect the eThekwini Municipality, Msunduzi Local Municipality and the uMgungundlovu District Municipality, all of which are supplied from the uMngeni River system.

Also read: Durban North residents urged to join forces on billing discrepancies

The curtailments will involve a percentage reduction in water supplied to the affected municipalities.

“Thus far, uMngeni-uThukela Water has been supplying water that exceeds the contracted volumes to the three affected municipalities. While dam levels within the uMngeni system are currently stable, it is critical to implement prudent water management measures in anticipation of possible future drought conditions,” the State-owned entity said in a statement.

The City has yet to comment on how the announcement will affect consumers.

Of the water supplied, the City loses 58% through theft, bursts and vandalism.

Earlier this year the City said it aimed to reduce non-revenue water loss by 5% annually.

 

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

Click to subscribe to our newsletter – here

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button