Chrissie trio charged with instigation
The cases have been handed to the Hawks, as they want to deal decisively with the perpetrators who show no respect or regard for the law
Three main suspects were arrested and charged with instigation of violence after an illegal gathering and protests by angry residents of KwaChibikhulu in Chrissiesmeer on 28 July.
The demonstration led to three people sustaining injuries and being hospitalised after they were shot at by police members using rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.David Nhlabathi, Boy Richard Ngwenya and Msizo Edwin Madonsela handed themselves over at the Chrissiesmeer Police Station the next day, after the police had launched a search for the trio.
They were fingered by most of the suspects arrested by the police on the day of the protests and by police informers.The police kept them for questioning and they were later released on bail.
The trio briefly appeared in the Chrissiesmeer Periodical Court on 6 August and their case was postponed to 28 August at the Ermelo’s Magistrate Court, pending further investigations.According to the police, the trio used a loud hailer that Monday afternoon, calling on members of the community to gather at the KwaChibikhulu
Stadium where they addressed the crowd about issues affecting the community. They also encouraged the residents to gather at the municipal offices in Chrissiesmeer the next day so as to get attention from both the Msukaligwa Municipal Manager and Executive Mayor.
Realising that there was no response from either of these officials, the angry group of people took to the streets, blockading the N17 entrance and exits to and from Chrissiesmeer. Under the watchful eye of both local police and units from other towns, the situation was calm until the arrival of the
Public Order Policing (POP) unit from Secunda when a scuffle between the police and the community ensued.
According to members of the community, they were incited to question the workforce for the clean-my-ward campaign that they said was not inclusive of local people; the municipal development plan for Chrissiesmeer; why most of the RDP houses have been without water and sanitation for more than 15 years; and how the mine near Chrissiemeer planned to give back to the community and possible job opportunities for the local people of Chrissiesmeer.
They also referred to the municipal lack of interest in issues affecting their town, referring to two marches that were held last year, after which the municipality has to date not responded to their memorandum.
According to Chrissiesmeer Police, the investigation into the public violence case and the instigation case have been handed to the Hawks, as they want to deal decisively with the perpetrators who show no respect or regard for the law.
They also thanked members of the community who consistently gave them information to assist them with the case so as to ensure that the instigators were brought to book.
Msukaligwa municipal spokesman, Mr Mandla Zwane, said the municipality was unable to respond to any queries as no official memorandum or list of grievances had been handed to them. He also made an appeal to the community to exhaust all the municipal grievance procedures, which includes but are not limited to raising the grievance through ward committee members, councillors, and/or municipal officials and try to resolve it through dialogue.
For free breaking and community news, visit our websites:
Ridge Times, Standerton Advertiser & Highvelder
Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.
For news straight to your phone invite us:
BBM – 2667A726
WhatsApp – 0748877590



