Inchanga man denied bail
A police officer from Inchanga briefly appeared at the Camperdown Magistrate’s Court on the charges of murdering his wife.
AN INCHANGA man has remained in custody after he allegedly shot and killed his wife in their home. Mthokozisi Nene (44) appeared at the Camperdown Magistrate’s Court on Monday, July 4. KwaZulu-Natal National Prosecuting Agency spokesperson, Natasha Kara, said the matter was postponed to July 13 for bail consideration.
KZN police spokesperson, Constable Thenjiswa Ngcobo, said it was on June 22 when the Inchanga police received a complaint of a murder at Fredville.
ALSO READ: 3 men to appear in court for Malvern elderly man’s murder
“The police proceeded to the scene, and on arrival, they were shown the body of a 41-year-old woman with a gunshot wound on the forehead. A 44-year-old suspect was arrested on the scene for murder,” she said.
According to the KZN Department of Social Development, the deceased, Thobeka Nene, was a teacher at a local primary school, and the suspect was a police officer at the local police station.
The department’s MEC, Nonhlanhla Khoza, joined a protest by the community outside the court where the accused appeared. Present at the protest were the two deceased’s daughters, Member of the Provincial Legislature, James Nxumalo, and Ward 04 councillor, Malombo Nxumalo.
Khoza applauded the court for denying bail to Nene.
“We were pleased that they considered a lot of aspects in this case. It is clear that the murder was premeditated. We are saddened by this situation, where children lost their mother at the hands of their father.”
ALSO READ: Pinetown woman sentenced to life imprisonment for murder of neighbour’s child
“We are disturbed that our children have been robbed of a teacher, but our social workers will provide the school children, the deceased‘s biological children and the family with psychosocial support. We are pleased that the community has come together to oppose bail for this man. We will continue to monitor this case until it comes to an end,” she said.
Nxumalo said the community had been standing together supporting the family since Nene’s murder.
“We urge law enforcement agencies to do everything within their powers to ensure that the perpetrator of this heinous crime remains in prison. He has to face the full might of the law. We want to see men being responsible, avoiding killing women and children.”
* Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news
Dear reader, As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19. Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).

Do you want to receive alerts regarding this and other Highway community news via Telegram? Send us a Telegram message (not an SMS) with your name and surname (ONLY) to 060 532 5409. You can also join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have signed up for our news alerts you need to save the Telegram number as a contact to your phone, otherwise you will not receive our alerts. Here’s where you can download Telegram on Android or Apple



