Parents protest over limited school placements in Kempton Park

Parents marched to Sir Pierre van Ryneveld High after being repeatedly turned away while trying to secure school placements for their children.

Frustrated parents marched to Sir Pierre van Ryneveld High School over two days, on January 28 and 29, seeking answers after being turned away repeatedly while trying to secure placement for their children for the 2026 academic year.

Parents said they have been sent from pillar to post since last year, with no clear answers on whether space is available.

Many expressed fear and frustration, saying their children currently have no school placement for 2026.

Pontsho Matshaba, the mother of a Grade 10 learner, said she was previously informed that there was space available, only to later be told otherwise.

ALSO READ: DA raises alarm over school readiness in Ekurhuleni ahead of 2026 academic year

“I visited Sir Pierre van Ryneveld High School on December 3 last year to register my son.

“I filled in the register for the waiting list and asked if there was space for Grade 10, and I was told there was,” she said.

“I kept coming back every day to check if my son was accepted, and I was always told there was space. Now they say there is no space for Grade 10. My son is at home, not doing anything, and it hurts me to see him not going to school.”

On January 28, parents said they feared their children might miss the entire school year if they were not admitted.

Some parents who arrived later attempted to speak to the principal, but their requests were not accommodated, and they left without receiving clarity.

Parents also raised concerns about a waiting list, saying they were unaware of its existence despite visiting the school multiple times since last year.

ALSO READ: Mayibuye High School learners protest unsafe conditions after relocation

They said some learners had been granted placements from the waiting list, raising concerns about possible favouritism.

“I want to understand what process those parents followed to get on the waiting list because I have been coming here since last year and nobody explained that process to us,” said Matshidiso Monyeseala, the mother of a Grade Nine learner.

“The school kept sending us home without telling us whether there was space or not.“Today is the first time they are clearly saying there is no space for certain grades and limited space for others.

“They are telling us to go to the district, but the district only assists with Grade One and Grade Eight, so in my case, I won’t get help because my son is supposed to be in Grade Nine,” she said.

On January 29, Sir Pierre van Ryneveld High School principal Jeanette Mangali addressed parents, explaining that all available spaces had already been allocated.

Mangali said the only time another learner could be admitted would be if a learner who had already been offered a place decided not to enrol.

ALSO READ: Aston Manor woman turns pain into purpose through healthy school meals

She also cautioned parents against withdrawing their children from their current schools without confirmed placement elsewhere.

“I have already taken 30 learners from the waiting list, the first 10, the second 10 and the third 10,” Mangali said.

“The only remaining spaces are for learners from private schools, and even those must be verified.”

She explained that learners from schools that do not offer English and Afrikaans would not be considered, and that private school applications require verification after past incidents involving fraudulent reports.

“Only once we confirm reports are legitimate will learners be admitted.

“The only other possibility is if a learner who was offered a place decides not to come,” she said, adding that some parents may have applied after the official closing date.

Parents left the school feeling disappointed and uncertain about their children’s futures.

Among those affected is Grade 11 learner Chamimah Mutloane, who risks missing a second consecutive year of schooling if she does not secure placement.

She did not attend school in 2025 due to a lack of space and was expected to be in Grade 12 in 2026 had she been placed last year.

ALSO READ: Aston Manor woman turns pain into purpose through healthy school meals

Parents said the ongoing uncertainty has left them stressed and unsure where to turn to ensure their children can continue their education.

The Kempton Express contacted the Gauteng Department of Education for comment regarding the matter.

The department advised the newspaper to direct the query to the nearest district office.
Attempts to reach the district telephonically were unsuccessful at the time of publication.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button