CrimeLocal news

Police arrest suspect following death of female security officer at Midrand training centre

A 43-year-old female security officer was found dead at the Elijah Barayi Memorial Training Centre in Midrand, with a 31-year-old colleague arrested for her alleged murder.

A 43-year-old security officer’s life came to a tragic end at a Midrand training centre, where police have since arrested a 31-year-old man on a murder charge.

Investigations are underway after a female security officer was found dead at the Elijah Barayi Memorial Training Centre (EBMTC) in Midrand on August 1.

Johannesburg district corporate communication spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mpho Tshetlhane confirmed that police have arrested a man in connection with the incident.

Read more: Midrand police investigate murder of female security officer at training centre

“The suspect is expected to appear in the Alexandra Magistrates’ Court soon on a charge of murder. The motive behind the incident is not yet known. Police investigations are continuing.”

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), which is linked to the training centre, identified the deceased as Nevermind Grace Mngomezulu, and described the killing as horrendous.

The union released a statement on August 3, stating that Mngomezulu and the suspect were both employed by a security company contracted to provide security services at the EBMTC. According to the NUM, Mngomezulu’s body was discovered in a female change room at the centre, covered in blood, appearing to have suffered stab wounds.

The union said security footage allegedly showed the suspect following Mngomezulu into the change rooms. He allegedly fled the scene before he was later arrested by police.

The NUM and the EBMTC board of trustees condemned the killing, describing it as a barbaric criminal act and expressing concern that the alleged perpetrator was a colleague of the deceased.

Also read: Police recover stolen bell excavator abandoned in Midrand

“We are extremely saddened by this horrific act of criminality. It seems all was premeditated,” said Lefty Mashego, NUM national education structure secretary.

Mashego said the EBMTC board met shortly after being informed of the incident to discuss the way forward, while the matter was reported to police.

The union also extended its condolences to Mngomezulu’s family and loved ones, stating that the family had already visited the training centre and that discussions around funeral arrangements were continuing.

The NUM assured its members and students that the college remains safe, adding that additional security measures are being implemented following the incident.

The investigation continues.

Follow us on our Whatsapp channelFacebookXInstagram and TikTok for the latest updates! 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Midrand Reporter in Google News and Top Stories.

Comfort Makhanya

Comfort Tsholofelo Makhanya is a dedicated journalist who began his community news career in 2020, starting with Rekord Noweto and subsequently writing for Alex New, Rosebank Killarney Gazette, and currently, Midrand Reporter.

Related Articles

Back to top button