
BARBERTON – When schools reopened last month, some learners in the province started their new grades on a very high note and in a favourable environment, but for the grade eight learners of Mjindini Secondary School, it turned out to be a nightmare.
They were welcomed into their old and dilapidated classrooms that could easily be mistaken for pig sties. The state of the classrooms was a disgrace to such an extent that learners were forced to share chairs and broken desks. Others decided to bring old crates and used them as chairs and some even used them to balance their chairs.
When Mpumalanga News visited the school, some of the learners were not in class, while the teachers were. Some of them indicated they had lost interest due to the bad state of their classroom. One of them said, “On the first day of school I thought they were joking when they told us that the grade eight classes were housed in this block, but as time went on, I realised it was true. I can’t stand this mess, I’d rather stay at home or play outside.” “Kunekutsi ngifundzele kulendzawo lefana nelihhoko letinkukhu,” said a learner.
The situation was highlighted when parents said they refused to tolerate the bad conditions of the classes any longer.
Mr Sabelo Nkosi said, “This is an insult to our children. They are supposed to study in a better environment than this. It is a disgrace, everything is broken. Doors, chairs, tables and the roof is not good. I wonder how they are going to cope in winter, these are some of the things that are making our children perform badly. It is sad that there are others who choose to play outside, while teaching and learning are proceeding in classes.
“When the pass rate decreases, the blame goes to teachers. This is beyond their control since some don’t want to cooperate.”
The chairperson of the school governing body (SGB), Ms Sarah Mabuza said, “We have written three letters to the department of education. They keep on promising that they will attend to this matter but nothing has happened. Last year and early in January, member of parliament,
Mr VV Windvoël and local councillors, visited the school. He said he would report the matter to the relevant department and this year we were told to write a memorandum. We did so but there is still no progress. The school has been facing this challenge since 2010 because this is my second term in this position.
“The classrooms are very old because they were built in 1960 and 1961. We are praying that the structure does not collapse before we get assistance. Previously, the department of public works renovated other blocks but we requested them rather to build a new structure, but they said they were here to renovate,” he said.
Mabuza had urged learners to study and not make an excuse of not attending class because of the challenges they faced and added, “Learners must not make excuses for not getting into class due to the problems. We as parents send them to school to study, not to play outside,” she concluded.
This reporter contacted the provincial spokesperson for education, Mr Jasper Zwane, to check whether they were aware of the situation and he said, “We are aware of the state of affairs at the school in question. On June 28, 2012 this school received an additional 200 chairs and 200 single desks in keeping with our promise to ensure that there is a desk and a chair for every learner. The challenge is that furniture is being vandalised or not taken care of as it should. In relation to infrastructure Barberton Mines has promised to donate five temporary classrooms (timber Wendy houses) before the end of March 2014.
“In addition the department has set aside R9,8 million for upgrading and additions at the school comprising seven classrooms,
10 toilets and a school hall.



