Full-time school resumption considered by education department
The Department of Basic Education is considering opening primary schools on a full-time basis.

Since the Covid-19 outbreak last year, pupils have been attending school on a rotational basis to prevent crowding and to adhere to social distancing protocols.
However, Department of Education spokesperson, Elijah Mhlanga said in a statement that the Council of Education Minsters is meeting on Thursday and Friday to discuss the matter as well as the impact of Covid-19.
Government schools re-opened for the second term on Monday.
“The proposal is now being considered at the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure where the department has since delivered a presentation at the relevant workstreams,” said Mhlanga.
“In the meantime, schools will continue to apply the rotational approaches as the department intensifies its implementation of the safety campaign aimed at saving lives and livelihoods.”
However, National Professional Teachers Organisation of SA (NAPTOSA) executive director Basil Manuel said the full-time return of pupils should be looked at carefully, while being mindful of a possible third wave.
*Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news
Dear reader,
As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19. Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).
Read original story on zululandobserver.co.za