SA Rugby takes heat for Tel Aviv U-turn

South African Friends of Israel say that they will be taking action against the governing body for ‘political interference’.

SA Rugby has come under fire for withdrawing an invitation to the Tel Aviv Heat to play in the Mzansi Challenge.

The Israel-based team were scheduled to compete in the Mzansi Challenge, a new competition with four other international teams and six South African provinces set to commence next month. However, the team was advised on Friday that the invitation had been withdrawn.

The Mexican Rhinos have been earmarked to replace the Heat, pending approval by the General Council.

“We have listened to the opinions of important stakeholder groups and have taken this decision to avoid the likelihood of the competition becoming a source of division, notwithstanding the fact that Israel is a full member of World Rugby and the IOC,” said Mark Alexander, president of the South African Rugby Union (SARU).

In a response to SA Rugby’s decision, the South African Friends of Israel say that they will be taking action against the governing body for ‘political interference’.

“SARU have shamelessly succumbed to the political pressure of the BDS crowd, and are amending fixtures for the sporting competition as such,” says SAFI spokesperson Pam Ngubane.

“This is in direct violation of Section 5.3 of the SARU constitution, which clearly states a mandate to pursue ‘policies and programmes, at national and all other levels, aimed at redressing imbalances of the past and creating a genuinely non-racial, non-sexist, non-political and democratic dispensation for rugby in South Africa’.

“SAFI will be taking action against SARU for allowing political interference in our sporting events and will communicate these steps in due course.”

The Mzansi Challenge kicks off on March 24 with the Diables (Spain), Simbas (Kenya), Windhoek Draught Welwitschias (Namibia), and Goshawks (Zimbabwe) joining South African provinces, Leopards, Valke, Boland Kavaliers, Eastern Province, Border Bulldogs, and SWD Eagles.

An adjusted fixture list will be issued in due course.

Read original story on www.sarugbymag.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Jana Boshoff

Jana works as a senior support specialist for Caxton digital. Before that she was a journalist at the Middelburg Observer 15 years where she won numerous awards including Sanlam's Up and Coming Journalist, Caxton Multimedia Journalist of the Year, and several investigative awards. She is passionate about people and the stories untold.
Back to top button