3 arrested after Mkhondo councillor’s 2022 murder

Nearly three years after Muzi Manyathi was gunned down, three suspects have been charged in connection with the murder.

Three suspects, aged between 32 and 36, have been charged with the murder of Mkhondo Municipality councillor Muzi Manyathi.

According to Lowvelder, the breakthrough comes nearly three years after Manyathi was gunned down at a fuel station in Mkhondo on the evening of November 4, 2022. The charges were laid yesterday, and the suspects were expected to appear in the Piet Retief Magistrate’s Court later the same day.

A police report states the suspects arrived at the fuel station in a Mercedes-Benz with Gauteng number plates. They allegedly moved from one pump to another without refuelling. One of the suspects then exited the vehicle. Manyathi was shot, allegedly by him, multiple times. The group fled the scene in the same vehicle.

Mkhondo police and paramedics responded swiftly, but Manyathi was declared dead on the scene.

The attack occurred just days after Manyathi posted a Facebook Live video in which he accused ANC members of being behind political killings in the Gert Sibande District.

The Mercedes-Benz was later found abandoned near a dam. Investigators determined the number plates were fake and that the car had been reported stolen from Brakpan in April 2022.

According to Mpumalanga police spokesperson Brigadier Donald Mdhluli, the investigation led officers to three men who were already in custody on an unrelated matter.

“Details of that case will be made available at a later stage,” he said.

Acting provincial police commissioner Major General Dr Zeph Mkhwanazi praised the investigative team for their dedication.

“We made a vow that we would not rest until the perpetrators were brought to book so that justice could be served for the victim’s family – and we have delivered. We trust that the suspects will be convicted and receive a harsh sentence,” he said.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button