Pregnant woman suffers ‘devastating’ internal injuries in Port Edward shooting

Authorities are on the hunt for a man who shot a four-month pregnant woman through the back and abdomen in KZN.

A pregnant woman was shot at Port Edward’s Silver Beach on Tuesday, with the suspect at large after fleeing the scene.

KwaZulu Private Ambulance Services spokesperson Craig Botha said it is believed that a confrontation led to the incident, reports South Coast Herald.

“At around 22:30, paramedics responded to reports of a shooting at the Port Edward main beach parking area. The victim, a woman in her early 30s who is four months pregnant, had been shot after an alleged dispute. The gunshot caused devastating internal damage, entering through her back and exiting via her abdomen,” said Botha.

Members of the National Sea Rescue Institute’s Station 32 and police were first on the scene, providing initial medical treatment to the woman as she lay on the ground. KwaZulu Private Ambulance paramedics took over clinical management, using advanced life-saving interventions to stabilise her.

“Due to the severity of the abdominal trauma and the high-risk nature of her pregnancy, the victim was stabilised under intensive care conditions before being rushed to a specialised medical facility for emergency treatment,” said Botha.

The SAPS Ugu District communications office said an attempted murder case has been opened for investigation. “It is alleged that the woman approached a vehicle known to her and was fired upon. The driver, a man, fled the scene. The woman is recovering in a local hospital,” said police.

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Sugan Naidoo

Senior reporter Sugan Naidoo is a true son of the South Coast soil. He was to the newspaper industry born, his late father working at the South Coast Herald back in the days when black and white photographs were still being used. Sugan has been with Caxton for close to three decades, having started as a weekend photographer, straight out of school. He soon showed his skill in hard news reporting and has, over the years, added to his repertoire, with motoring now one of his important beats. He is always willing to go the extra mile, especially if it's to test drive a new vehicle. He supports the Proteas, Springboks and Manchester United.
Back to top button