Pavlova is like the Cinderella of the dessert world – elegant, enchanting, and beloved by all who encounter it. This meringue-based treat hails from Down Under, where it enjoys a well-deserved spot at the top of the dessert hierarchy. But what happens when this iconic dessert gets a tropical makeover? Enter the Guava Pavlova – a tantalising fusion of the classic and the exotic. Recipe compliments of Roodeberg.
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 300ml fresh cream
- Preheat the oven to 120°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and draw a 20cm disc onto the paper. Turn the paper over so that the drawn disc is underneath. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Ensure the bowl is clean, as any fat or spot of egg yolk can prevent egg whites from fluffing up.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until the meringue is thick and glossy and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and cornflour and gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the meringue onto the tray. Use a spatula to shape into a disc, using the circle as a guide. Bake for 1 ½ hours. Turn off the oven, leave the door closed and allow it to cool completely. This stops the pavlova from cracking.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Fill the pavlova with the cream and top it off with the poached guavas and guava sauce.
Cardamom poached guavas
- 4 guavas, halved
- 1 cup Roodeberg Rosé wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cardamom pods
- Pinch of vanilla seeds
- Simmer the wine, sugar, cardamom pods and vanilla in a pot for 10 minutes.
- Add the halved guavas and slowly simmer for a further 10 -15 minutes. Spoon them out of the syrup and allow to cool.
- 3 guavas, peeled and seeded
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup Roodeberg Rosé
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the guavas are soft.
- Take the pot off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Blend them all together and drizzle over the pavlova.