Sensitive Content

Elderly man brutally attacked in home invasion on Pretoria smallholding

A 76-year-old man is recovering after a violent attack, with three suspects appearing in a Cullinan court, while two are still on the run.

A kitchen covered in blood told the grim story of a violent home invasion during which a 76-year-old man was severely assaulted at a smallholding in Kameeldrift-East, Pretoria, last week.

Warning: The article contains graphic images.

Pretoria Rekord reports that, according to Tian Kruger, five armed men broke into his parents’ home just after 23:00 last Wednesday, gaining access through the back door.

The couple, Trompie (76) and Sunette Kruger (73), share the property with family members, including Tian and a relative, SJ Pienaar (63).

Attack unfolds inside home

Pienaar was the first to be confronted by the intruders. His hands and feet were bound using cable ties and he was left lying on the kitchen floor.

The intruders reportedly demanded to know whether there were children in the house and made it clear they were looking for cash, jewellery and firearms. The family confirmed there was no safe on the premises.

When the intruders entered the couple’s bedroom, Trompie confronted them, leading to a violent struggle.

He was overpowered, tied up with cable ties and repeatedly assaulted. He was struck over the head with a firearm and is believed to have been strangled, causing him to lose consciousness.

“The main struggle happened in the kitchen. There was blood everywhere, even on the cupboards,” says Tian.

He describes the moment his father emerged from the house after the attack.

“He came out in his bloodied clothes, with blood streaming from his head, holding his arm out so I could cut the cable tie that was cutting into him,” he says.

His mother managed to lock herself in the bathroom during the attack and was not physically harmed.

The aftermath of the brutal attack. Photos: Supplied

Intruders flee and are pursued

The intruders fled the scene in a white Corsa bakkie. They took a cellphone and about R2 000 in cash.

CPF members responded within minutes of receiving a call, spotting the vehicle at the property’s entrance. A chase ensued, eventually ending when the bakkie was stopped near the corner of Moloto and Kameelfontein roads.

Trompie was taken to Steve Biko Academic Hospital, where he received medical treatment for severe head injuries and required more than 17 stitches.

He was discharged last Thursday and is currently recovering at home.

Family recovering from trauma

The family is receiving counselling following the traumatic incident.

“My father is recovering well. By the grace of God, they were protected,” says Tian.

He describes his father as a peaceful and selfless man who was deeply affected by the attack.

“I am broken inside that they could do this to a peace-loving man who always helps everyone, regardless of colour, and who always puts his family and others before himself,” he says.

Despite the trauma, Tian says his father remains determined.

“He just wants to get back onto his tractor.”

The family believes the property may have been monitored before the attack, noting a nearby vacant plot that may have been used to observe the home.

Arrests made, investigation continues

Local police spokesperson Captain Johan van Dyk confirms the attack and the items stolen during the robbery.

He adds that property unrelated to the incident was found in the back of the Corsa bakkie, including a stolen 9mm firearm linked to an incident in Honeydew.

Three suspects from Alexandra have been arrested, while two others remain at large.

Ammunition was also allegedly found in the possession of one suspect, which police say links him to the crime scene.

The three arrested suspects appeared in the Cullinan Magistrate’s Court on Monday, but the court outcome was not known at the time of publishing.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Corné van Zyl

Corné van Zyl is a seasoned journalist and currently a senior reporter at Rekord, with a wealth of experience across various media platforms. She began her career after studying journalism at the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) and first honed her skills at Media24. Corné’s career took her to Beeld, Sondag newspaper, and the South African Press Association (SAPA), where she built a strong foundation in news reporting. In her free time, Corné enjoys spending time with her family outdoors, embracing life and creating lasting memories with her loved ones.
Back to top button