Parents protest outside Durban school due to admission disputes
Protests intensify outside Addington Primary School as parents demand placement for local learners amid ongoing admission disputes.
Following Wednesday’s protest by the March-And-March members and local parents, today a bulkier crowd chanted outside the Addington Primary School gates.
On the side of the road foreign nationals stood and threw insults.
A total of 66 local children are still not accepted at the school despite applying for admission as early as April 2025, reports Berea Mail.
The angry crowd is frustrated that foreign learners are accommodated at the expense of local children.
A lengthy meeting was held involving March-And-March leadership, the school management, Ward 26 committee and District (KZN Department of Education) representatives.
It was resolved that most of the 66 local children who are not placed will be enrolled before the end of next week. The remainder would be accommodated in a neighbouring school. An option of bringing in containers as classrooms was also explored.
One Congolese parent question where they should go.
“Our country is plagued with civil wars. We needed a peaceful place hence we came to South Africa to get a better future for our children,” said the parent.
Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma, the leader of March-And-March said one mistake South Africans did was to show humanity to foreigners, who in turn abused it, by taking over every space. She assured the local parents that next week they would be back at the school if no progress was made, as promised.
This was echoed by Sibusiso Lushaba, the ward councillor.
“All the children will be placed by the end of next week. We had already started sending SMSs to parents to come to the school next week. The school may not accommodate all of them but we will try other means,” he said.
The principal of the school could not comment.
@caxtonlocalmedia For the second time this week, tensions erupted outside Addington Primary School as parents and protesters clashed over learner enrolment. The latest confrontation unfolded Friday at the school gates, echoing scenes from Wednesday’s chaotic stand-off on the first day of the academic year. On both occasions, parents of foreign learners, South Beach residents, and members of the March-And-March protest group were involved in heated exchanges that disrupted the start of classes. #bereamail #marchinmarch #durbannews ♬ original sound – caxtonlocalmedia
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.