Police probe KZN boy’s abuse after viral video

A man who was reportedly in a relationship with the young boy's mother, is sought for the disturbing incident.

Social media users became enraged after a six-year-old Chatsworth, KZN, boy was forced to continuously slap himself, hold his ears, and squat all while being verbally abused by his relative with seething profanity after he took too long in the toilet.

This degrading and abusive interaction emerged after a video went viral on social media where, despite the endless berating, insults, and punishment, the child still responds to the alleged abuser with love and innocence.

Head of Reaction Unit South Africa (Rusa) Prem Balram stated that the nine-minute long recording was obtained by reaction officers after Gauteng-based company NP Knights Search and Rescue contacted Rusa as they sought assistance in a case of child abuse that they believed occurred in KZN. Rusa confirmed that the man and woman in the recording are the alleged abuser’s relatives, who reside in Chatsworth.

“Reaction officers have knowledge of the boy’s school and have received information that similar abuse was previously reported to teachers and that no help was provided to the minor,” said Balram.

He added that the alleged abuser has been identified as an employee of a local trucking company. In a recent update, Rusa reported that the child’s biological mother has since ended her relationship with the suspect while confirming that he has gone into hiding.

The call is believed to have been initiated by the suspect’s sister, who tells her brother, that the child has filled out his schoolbook unnecessarily, not taken his shoes out of the car, lost his juice bottle, and spent too long in the toilet.

All while this is going on, we hear the man’s relatives forcing the child to perform exercises as punishment. The boy’s biological father, who cannot be named for the protection of the family’s identity, has confirmed that his son will remain in his custody as per a decision made by Child Welfare Services.

The 37-year-old father continued that he had received the recording from the manager at his ex-wife’s workplace and that he was taken aback by what he heard.

“It has been a year since we separated but I do not believe that my wife was involved. The audio was shocking and I was not aware that this man was capable of such cruelty and abuse. It was a traumatising ordeal for us all, however, we are glad that my child is with us instead of going through such terrible conditions. We hope to arrange counselling for my son as there is no telling what else they have done to him,” said the disturbed father.

Social media has been abuzz with many users exposing the alleged abuser’s identity while some made threats to his safety as the baying for his blood continues amid his hiding.

One irate Facebook user commented on the post, stating: “This low-life needs to be dealt with by the community. Name and shame him.” (SIC)

Many have stated that they could not listen to the full recording due to the disturbing nature of the language and abuse hurled at the innocent child. Communications officer of Chatsworth SAPS Captain Cheryl Pillay stated that the Chatsworth Family Violence, Child Protection, and Sexual Offences Unit is investigating a case of abuse in terms of the Child Protection Act 38 of 2005.

“Police acted immediately when the case was brought to their attention and on Friday, Child Welfare intervened by removing the child and placing him in the care of his biological father. The Chatsworth FCS investigators interviewed the child and family. Police have intensified investigations in this case,” confirmed Pillay.

The station commander of Chatsworth SAPS, Brigadier Ruth de Villiers, extended her appreciation to the public, who reported this case to the police.

“The Child Protection Act in South Africa imposes obligations on society to report the suspected ill-treatment and abuse of children. The primary concern is to ensure the well-being and care of the victim. It is important for the public to also take cognisance that the circulation of photographs and videos on social media, especially that of children is prohibited. The posting of photographs could prove detrimental to investigations, which affects court proceedings. As such, administrators for WhatsApp and other social media platforms are cautioned in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act [Act 4 of 2013],” explained De Villiers.

Read original story on risingsunchatsworth.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button