Pre-trial for Zandile Gumede and co-accused postponed until June

The matter was transferred to the Durban High Court and postponed to 14 June 2021 for a pre-trial conference.

Another court proceeding was held this morning (Tuesday, 23 March) as the State handed over an indictment against former eThekwini mayor, Zandile Gumede and the co-accused involved in a Durban Solid Waste tender that cost in excess of R430 million.

Regional spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority, Natasha Kara, said the matter of the State vs Gumede and others appeared today in the Durban Magistrate’s Court where an indictment was handed over to the court.

“The state, represented by Senior State Advocate Ashika Lucken, handed in the indictment to the court as well as the various legal representation for the accused,” she said.

The pre-trial will take place in June, said Kara.

“The matter was transferred to the Durban High Court and postponed to 14 June 2021 for a pre-trial conference,” she added.

In December last year, Gumede and 17 others appeared in the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court after a three-month adjournment.

On Wednesday last week, three additional eThekwini Municipality councillors were arrested in connection with the multi-million Rand tender scam.

They are charged with multiple counts of fraud, racketeering and money laundering among others relating to the irregular 2017 Durban Solid Waste tender.

Read original story on highwaymail.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button