Some Estcourt shops remain closed after protest against foreign-owned businesses

Shop owners say fear of looting led to closures during last week’s protest, as the municipality demands explanations from affected businesses.

Some shops in Estcourt have remained closed following last week’s protest against illegal foreign nationals operating businesses in the KZN town.

Estcourt News reports that during the march on Friday, Inkosi Langalibalele Mayor Mduduzi Myeza noted that several shops believed to be owned by undocumented foreign nationals were not open. He said these businesses must stay closed until their owners provide a clear explanation for the closure.

Shop owners raise concerns

One shop owner, who reported having visited the mayor’s office yesterday, told Estcourt News that he was confident that all required documentation was in order. However, he said he was still asked to explain why his shop had been closed during the protest and was instructed to return the following week.

Other shop owners echoed similar concerns, explaining that their decision to close was driven by fear of potential looting rather than any failure to comply with regulations.

Task team to monitor businesses

Ahead of Friday’s march, the mayor introduced a task team to monitor the operations of local businesses. The initiative aims to ensure compliance with legal requirements while addressing community concerns surrounding foreign-owned enterprises.

On his Facebook account, the mayor urged the community to assist the team and keep an eye on all the shops that did not open during the march.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Sihle Ntenjwa

A journalist at Caxton Local Media, contributing to Estcourt and Midlands News. Passionate and dedicated to his craft, Sihle has quickly made a name for himself since arriving in Estcourt in late 2023. His commitment to storytelling and community journalism has earned him recognition for keeping readers informed with compelling and accurate local news
Back to top button