Sunday round-up: Zuma’s jail sentence and demerit system postponed

This week, we look at some of the headlines that gripped the nation, including the sentencing of former President Jacob Zuma and the new Covid-19 regulations.

Will Zuma go to jail?

Former president Jacob Zuma. Picture Neil McCartney

The Constitutional Court sentenced Zuma to 15 months in jail earlier this week after his refusal to testify before the Zondo commission – but there is some doubt that he will spend time behind bars. Yesterday, The Citizen reported that the Constitutional Court has agreed to hear Zuma’s contempt of court recession application. The result? Jacob Zuma will no longer go to jail today (Sunday).

Prior to the ConCourt developments yesterday, however, Zuma supporters pledged their support to the former president and said they would protect him if he chose not to hand himself in.

And even though he should be treated equally, Zuma will probably get preferential treatment in jail, says University of Pretoria legal expert Dr Llewelyn Curlewis.

 

Latest Covid-19 regulations

Adjusted lockdown level 4 regulations are now in place. Here’s a recap of some of the regulations and how they might affect you:

· Alert level 4 means you can’t go when and where you want

· Strict policies are in place regarding recreation, hospitality and entertainment

· Schools have also been affected

 

‘Difficult’ to say when Covid-19 cases in Gauteng will drop, says dept

For illustration purposes. Photo: Twitter/GautengHealth

While Gauteng remains the epicentre of the third Covid-19 wave currently affecting the country, the Gauteng Department of Health said it is ‘difficult’ to predict when Covid-19 cases in the province will drop.

Read more here.

New transport demerit system implementation delayed

The implementation of the new Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (Aarto) transport demerit system has been postponed until July 2022. During a virtual press briefing on Thursday (July 1), Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula blamed the postponement on delays caused by the coronavirus lockdown, among other factors.

Click here for more details or watch the video below.

‘Just under R1b’: Zondo says commission has not overspent

Despite spending just under R1b, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo disputed claims that the Commission of Inquiry into Allegations of State Capture has overspent.

Read the full story on The Citizen.

Read original story on albertonrecord.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button