Tavern killings of grave concern to residents in WC, Limpopo
Five murders at taverns in two provinces have residents worried about their safety.

Serious concerns have been raised by residents of Ramaphosa in Thembalethu Zone 6 in George, and Madombidzha in Limpopo, after numerous killings at taverns.
George Herald reports that in Ramaphosa, Sinethemba Buda (24) died inside a tavern in Tabata Street at 02:45 on Sunday after he was stabbed several times.
This is the second murder at the popular tavern in the last month.
Southern Cape police spokesperson Sergeant Chris Spies says a 24-year-old suspect handed himself over to police in Thembalethu on Tuesday evening. The suspect is in custody and will appear in court soon.
Spies adds that circumstances surrounding the incident are still under investigation and the motive is unknown.
George Herald reached out to Buda’s father on Tuesday, but the family was arranging his funeral at the time, and could not be reached afterwards.
The investigating officer, Warrant Officer Esmerelda Jackson, urged the public to come forward with any information by contacting her on 079 894 1576 or calling the Crime Stop number on 08600 10111.
Previous killing
On December 31, Anesipho Mtyukwini (24) was stabbed to death on the premises of the same tavern and a 32-year-old woman was arrested.
George Herald spoke to a resident who asked not to be named. He said an online petition was started to close down the tavern as it has no security measures in place.
“Patrons aren’t searched upon arrival, underage children frequent the place and very little is done by the owner to address these issues. We have tried to address this with him, but with no success. It is, after all, the owner’s responsibility to ensure that patrons are safe. The safety of the patrons should come first, not profits.
“Our problems and focus are not only on this place, but all other places of entertainment in Thembalethu that do not adhere to the law. Our people need to be safe when they are out enjoying themselves,” the resident said.
George Herald tried to get the contact details of the tavern owner to allow him/her right of response, but was unsuccessful.
Residents also complain that though the issue has been brought to the attention of the police, nothing is being done.
Spies says they have noted concerns raised by the community about liquor-licensed premises not adhering to the conditions attached to their licences, especially about juveniles frequenting these premises.
“The police conduct regular compliance inspections at liquor-licensed premises and more were done as part of the recent operations under the theme ‘More boots on the ground towards enhanced police visibility’.
“These are ongoing operations to safeguard communities. The police also urge the public to report premises that do not follow the relevant protocols to designated liquor licence officers, placed at the relevant police stations, for formal enquiries into the fitness of licence holders to be instituted,” he adds.
Limpopo tavern killings
Tavern killings are also of concern to residents of Madombidzha in Limpopo. The fatal shooting of a young man on January 15 sent shockwaves through the area.
Usivhone Funyufunyu’s (25) death raised questions about the rising number of killings at or around taverns, with Funyufunyu being the third person killed at taverns in the area within a month. In the first incident, a man was killed on Christmas Day at Tshiozwi, while on December 26, another man was killed at Ravele.
A witness to the recent killing, who asked to remain anonymous, shared his version of events with Polokwane Review: “We were having a good time and enjoying our drinks when we suddenly heard gunfire from the other side, next to the gate of the outlet. It must have been more than five shots. We saw a man with a gun in his hand and realised that someone had been shot right by the gate.”
He said the killer ran away after the shooting.
They saw a man on the ground, bleeding, and emergency personnel were summoned. The victim was certified dead on the scene.
Limpopo police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo confirmed the incident. He said the victim had been identified as a local resident, and that the young man had been shot dead next to the gate of the tavern.
“We have opened a murder case. A 29-year-old suspect from Magau was arrested and he appeared in the Tshilwavhusiku Magistrate’s Court on January 18,” said Mojapelo.
Read original story on letabaherald.co.za