Update: 2 arrested in connection with torching of 51 buses at 4 Mpumalanga depots
A security guard was shot and some employees were held at gunpoint during arson attacks at Putco depots earlier this week.
The Mpumalanga SAPS has arrested two men, aged 29 and 37, in connection with the torching of 51 Putco buses in the KwaNdebele region of the Nkangala District on Monday night.
According to provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Donald Mdhluli, the suspects were apprehended yesterday following a co-ordinated effort by the investigative team that was assembled under the leadership of the acting provincial police commissioner, Major General Dr Zeph Mkhwanazi.
“Their arrest comes after a group of armed individuals driving a white Toyota Quantum, Vito Minibus and a VW Polo set fire to the buses at various Putco bus depots in the area. This resulted in the destruction of 16 buses in Moloto in the Kwamhlanga Policing Precinct and 35 buses in Thabane and Maphotla in the Siyabuswa Policing Precinct,” Mdhluli says.

Mdhluli says several Putco employees were assaulted during these incidents.
“The suspects, who were wearing balaclavas and black clothing, also reportedly held some of the employees at gunpoint.”
One security guard sustained a gunshot wound and is receiving medical treatment at a local hospital.
“During the arrest, one of the suspects was found in possession of a mobile phone belonging to one of the victims and a magazine for a 9mm pistol without ammunition. The police are convinced that these two individuals were allegedly involved in the bus depot incidents. Further investigations are ongoing,” he says.
Mkhwanazi commended the swift action taken by the SAPS in tracing and apprehending the suspects. He expressed confidence in the ongoing investigation and hinted at the possibility of more arrests in the future.
Police have arrested two suspects aged 29 and 37 in connection with the torching of 51 Putco buses in Mpumalanga on Monday night. The suspects were apprehended on Tuesday evening following a coordinated effort by law enforcement officials. pic.twitter.com/I0QHW1QpM2
— BEAST OF NEWS (@EversonLuhanga) January 29, 2025
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za