Video: 2 killed in Randfontein shoot-out, kidnapped businessman freed

A kidnapped Lenasia businessman was rescued after a Randfontein shoot-out left two suspects dead, and the alleged kingpin arrested.

Dramatic scenes unfolded at a house on Fritz Krampe Road in Greenhills, Randfontein, yesterday afternoon following reports of a shooting.

According to Randfontein Herald, police deputy provincial commissioner Major General Fred Kekana confirmed the incident involved a shoot-out and is linked to the kidnapping of a Lenasia businessman, who has since been reunited with his family.

Kekana explained the businessman had been kidnapped more than 40 days ago and held for a ransom of over R15m.

The chain that was used to restrain the kidnapped victim during his captivity. Photo: Dominique Duvenhage

He said one suspect was already arrested on Tuesday.

“Crime Intelligence managed to trace another two suspects, one of them the kingpin, and arrested them in Johannesburg today [July 10]. Thereafter, authorities brought the suspects to the home of the kingpin, where the victim was held,” he said.

Kekana added that when authorities arrived at the house, two more suspects were inside.

“Upon entering, a shoot-out between the police and suspects occurred and, consequently, the two suspects were shot dead. Over the past two years, we have managed to arrest over 170 kidnappers in Gauteng. From January to March, we received 144 cases of kidnapping where ransom was demanded,” Kekana emphasised.

Hear from Kekana:

@caxton.jhbwest

Deputy Provincial Police Commissioner Major General Fred Kekana speaks to the kidnapped victim and his family after he was rescued following a dramatic police raid in Greenhills ended in gunfire, two suspects dead. The Lenasia businessman was held captive for more than 40 days. #shootout #fyp #FredKekana #kidnapping #ShootoutGreenhills #caxtonlocalmedia #Kidnappedbusinessman #saps #southafricanpolice #police

♬ original sound – Caxton JHB West

The family of the 60-year-old victim was reunited with him at the scene. In addition to a strong police presence, members of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit, Visible Policing, CPF and Rand West Neighbourhood Watch were also on the scene.

The home of the alleged kingpin. Photo: Dominique Duvenhage

The newspaper interviewed the victim’s son, who said his father was taken from his business premises.

“It was just an ordinary day and it happened so fast. It is a very testing time for the family. We were all emotionally broken. We are thankful to God and to the police. It was a long, dreadful six weeks. We all just prayed for his good health and that a miracle would happen. He is emotionally broken and will need time to recover,” the son said.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button