CrimeNews

‘Tenants’ break into Zimbali home

The incident has raised concerns among residents of the exclusive estate.

A 67-year-old Zimbali resident suffered two heart attacks after he tried to chase criminals who broke into his son’s house in Zimbali Coastal Resort.

The incident has raised concerns among residents of the exclusive estate that the criminals had entered the estate by renting accommodation there.

Antony Dixon and his family returned from lunch on Sunday, December 2, to find thieves in his house in Yellowwood Drive.

“As we drove in, there was a white car parked on our driveway and the door was open. Immediately we knew that our house had been broken into because we always lock our door,” said Antony.

Also read: Ballito UIP gears for the new year

He said his father, Stephen, parked behind him and went to the side of the house, where he saw that there was someone in the house. Antony’s wife, Fiona shouted, ‘Stop, what are you doing.’

“One of the men lifted up his shirt and showed a gun and said ‘do not come closer, I will shoot’. They got into the car and drove off.

“At that time we were all in a panic because of the children who were with us. As they drove off, my father tried to run after them, that was when he suffered a heart attack.”

Stephen was rushed to the hospital where it was found that he had in fact suffered two heart attacks.

After an operation, he was discharged from hospital last Monday and is recovering at his home in Port Zimbali.

There have reportedly been several incidents in the past of criminals renting accommodation in the estate in order to burgle houses.

At a residents’ meeting last week, some voiced concerns about the quality of estate security, as well as the issue of short-term rentals.

An online petition is calling for rentals to be no shorter than two weeks, alternatively one month.

Zimbali general manager Sarika Sewpersad declined to comment.

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.

Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join the conversation on FacebookTwitter and Instagram


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button