Bedridden man killed in blaze
Farmers and firemen fight to save Tongaat farm house.
An elderly bedridden man was killed in a fire at his home on Celina Farm in Upper Tongaat on Monday night.
According to the Investigating Officer Detective Sgt Lindsay Anthony, Ronald Steven Stugnell-Sanders (79) was home alone while his family had gone to Ballito for the evening.
By the time help arrived the fire had already gutted the man’s bedroom and several other rooms in the house.
“Fire fighters and numerous farmers from the surrounding farms worked together to extinguish the blaze but Stugnell-Sanders’ body had already burnt beyond recognition,” said Sgt Anthony.
Guard Corp Security’s Guy Edmundes was the one who found the body.
“I ran into the house holding my water drenched shirt over my mouth to protect myself from the smoke,” said Edmundes.
He searched the room hoping that the bedridden man had somehow escaped the fire, but it was not to be the case.
Steven Stugnell-Sanders’ funeral was held in Mont Clare this afternoon.

Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

