CrimeLocal newsNewsUpdate

Hitman and taxi owner die in Stanger taxi shooting

An update on the shootout that took place in Stanger Manor last week.

The death toll from last week’s taxi violence in KwaDukuza (Stanger) has risen to three.

Blood was shed and lives lost when a convoy of Maphumulo Taxi Association owners and security guards were ambushed by a group of men on Wednesday, January 14 in Stanger Manor.

Maphumulo Taxi Association owner, Sfiso Zulu, said they were on their way to the rank when the shootout happened.

About 15 men armed with AK47’s were waiting at Primrose Street under a tree, dressed in general workers uniforms and helmets.

“We thought they were a construction company working on the road. When we got closer they started shooting at us,” said Zulu.

Maphumulo security guard, only known as Dube, and taxi owner Mbongeni “Ten Ten” Ngiba (60) died at the Stanger Hospital. Security guard Petros Mkhize was left with a bullet wound to his leg.

The three men were in a white Toyota Corolla that belongs to Sipho “Magic” Thusi, one of the owners, who was driving the vehicle at the time.

One of the attackers Mkhumbane Khambule was also shot and killed during the ambush. The other attackers fled the scene in a BMW, later recovered in Darnall.

KwaZulu Natal SAPS spokesperson Colonel Jay Naicker said police had arrested a man who was admitted to a local hospital with gunshot wounds, on the day of the shooting.

“We believe he could have been one of the shooters. Cases of attempted murder and murder will be opened at KwaDukuza SAPS for further investigation,” said Naicker.

According to the owners of Maphumulo Taxi Association the motive for the shooting is the ongoing dispute over the Maphumulo and Doringkop route.

“That is all we are dying for. They want to kill us all so that they can take over our routes,” said Zulu.

Maphumulo taxi owner Sbusiso Sokhele blames the Transport department for giving permits to the Stanger Taxi Association to operate in Madundube, Doringkop and Glendale.

“Those routes belong to us. Since I was a kid our association was operating in these areas. But when we were asked to re-apply for permits our routes were given to the Stanger Association,” said Sokhele.

Sokhele said if the department can bring back their permit all the violence will stop.

“We no longer sleep at our homes because of the attacks on our homes. We have lost the joy of spending time with our families all because of the department not giving the right permit to the right association,” he said.


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button