Local newsNews

ANCYL given green light to march on Junction opening

"Up to 10 000" protesters to march on the grand opening of the Ballito Junction Regional Mall.

The ANC Youth League (ANCYL) for the Greater KwaDukuza region are going ahead with their plans to stage a mass march on the day of The Ballito Junction Regional Mall’s grand opening.

In a press conference held yesterday (March 17) ANCYL regional secretary Musa Zondi said they had been granted approval for the march.

“The ANCYL believes the economy should benefit the region as a whole, not just selected people. In this light, we are disturbed that the Junction seems to have broken their commitment to source labour locally – employing people from places like Umhlanga, Durban and Tongaat while the youth of KwaDukuza sit without jobs,” said Zondi.

The league said they would stage the mass action from 8am to 5pm on March 23.

“For this historic action we will bring up to 10 000 marchers to protest this skeleton development.”

Zondi said the mall was a reflection of ‘white monopoly capital’ and as the “voice of the youth who are being exploited” it was their responsibility to challenge the opening of the new mall.

“We are holding this march because injustice stills prevails in South Africa – we want economic freedom in our lifetime and this radical, historic mass action will take us one step closer.

“Who is this mall benefiting? Not the struggling black youth of KwaDukuza! It is time for the remnants of apartheid to be done away with.”

One of the chairmen for Flanagan and Gerard Property Development and Investment, Peter Gerard told The Courier that the new mall had created thousands of local jobs.

“We used the local council facilitator to source employees, so I don’t know what they are talking about.”

Meanwhile, Umhlali SAPS spokesperson warrant officer Vinny Pillay said they were aware of the march and were planning accordingly.

“The marchers will start from Groutville at 8am and then move down the R102, gathering more protesters at Shaka’s Head before making their way to The Junction.

“There will be a designated area for the protesters to gather and the ANCYL has undertaken to make sure the march is a peaceful one.”

According to Pillay the league will organise their own water trucks for thirsty protesters as well as ambulance services to be on standby.

The opening of the new mall is already expected to put a strain on KDM’s ability to control traffic and, while 10 000 protesters seems a lofty target – the Youth League’s recent march on the education department in Stanger that drew a crowd approximately 4000 strong should not be forgotten.

>>> Meet the top players in the North Coast property industry. See our Property People feature.

>>> Looking for a church? Check out our Churches on the North Coast feature. 

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.

Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join us on BBM at 59015786
Join the conversation on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

Back to top button