Local news

Ballito Muslim prayer hall construction gets municipal green light

The 300-capacity hall at the Ballito Business Park will meet the needs of the resident and working Muslim community.

The 300-capacity Ballito Prayer Hall will soon begin construction after receiving long-awaited planning permission.

Situated on Nandi Mthembu Drive in the Ballito Business Park, the hall is designed to provide for the prayer needs of Ballito’s resident and working Muslim community.

It has been a long-gestating project which faced delays during the approval process because of five objections lodged with the KwaDukuza municipality (KDM).

KDM said the municipal appeals committee met with the objecting parties twice and resolved to move for approval.

The objecting parties had 180 days from the meetings to lodge a High Court appeal, which they chose not to do.

The Ballito Muslim Trust (BMT), who are building the hall with publicly raised funds, said final approval was granted on May 24.

“Construction will now begin as soon as possible and is expected to take between one and two years,” said Ballito Imaam, Moulana Bilal Vally.

“The objection process was handled by the KDM team. I must add that the Muslim community of Ballito is very appreciative of this.”

Imaam Vally said he believed the 1 042m2 hall would be sufficient for the local Muslim community, both in terms of full-time residents and those who had prayer needs during their work week.

“Taking into account our current demands as well as the exponential growth we are witnessing within Ballito and the surrounding areas, we believe that upon completion the prayer hall will be large enough to service the Muslim community,” he said.

“We will most certainly require additional space as time passes. Our projects will definitely be aligned accordingly.”

Imaam Vally had previously confirmed to the Courier that no outside speakers would be installed and that the prayers would not be audible to the surrounding business park.

Once completed, the hall will cut down on travel time for local Muslims who have to go to Tongaat, Shakaskraal or KwaDukuza to pray in a mosque or proper prayer hall.

Ballito’s current offering is only a 70-capacity musallah and individual prayer rooms.

As for the proposed mosque at Townsend Park, which drew huge controversy when most recently announced in 2022, KDM said there remains no council decision on the matter.


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

 


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Nothando Mhlongo

Fresh out of university, Nothando has a knack for telling human interest stories. When she's not furiously typing up her next article... you can find her relishing in her favourite dish - pasta.
Back to top button