The one that got away – for now
Ballito's Harry Botha did not get to run the North Pole marathon.
Ballito runner, Harry Botha’s dream of running one of the coldest, most challenging and certainly the northern most marathon in the world was thwarted by ill health.
Even his running shoes got to the 2015 North Pole Marathon, but he did not run in them.
After having completed a marathon on each of the seven continents, including the South Pole, Botha was ready to take on the North Pole.
The fit, well prepared and extremely excited runner packed his bags, got onto the first of many airplanes and started the long journey to the top of the world last month, where he was ready to run 42 km in ice and snow (‘Conquering the vast cold’, Courier, April 1).
“Once we finally got to Spitsbergen island, off the coast of Norway, from where we were going to catch the last plane to the North Pole, I felt a niggle in my throat and took some vitamin C, because getting sick was not an option.”
The weather was terrible, in fact the last flight to the North Pole was delayed various times due to snow storms and airplane trouble.
As the delays continued, the niggle did too and Botha felt more and more ill ending up in hospital two days later.
“I felt terrible, every bone ached, I had a headache and a cough,” he said.
Even various blood tests could not tell what virus the pensioner had picked up.
Botha’s running kit flew to the pole and the next plane was meant for the runners.
“I was still so ill and even if someone had offered me a million Rand to run, I would have said no thank you.”
The difficult decision was made and so the runners started the coolest marathon in the world the next day in -41 degrees Celcius, without Botha.
“I was absolutely heartbroken, but maybe it was for the best as the conditions were terrible, even the Russians said it was the worst and coldest weather they have had for the marathon,” he said.
Some competitors had to give up, as the knee deep snow and cold wind was just too much to conquer.
The determined runner has however, not given up on the North Pole Marathon and plans to attempt it again next year, this time wearing his shoes.


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

