communityLocal newsNews

Sithembile community demand answers

Residents concerned about issues of service delivery in Sithembile.

Endumeni Mayor Thulani Mahaye  Endumeni Mayor Thulani Mahayewas placed in the hot seat, answering to the community of Sithembile in a community meeting on February 6. The community attacked the mayor with a number of questions of grievance, on which the mayor said he would have to consult with relevant stakeholders before giving feedback. Among issues that were discussed were a proposed media centre, employment, ward committees, RDP houses in Sithembile, feedback from COGTA, clinics and ambulance functionality. One of the burning issues on the agenda that was forwarded to the mayor on February 3, along with a petition, was the issue of a media centre, which has supposed to have been operating for the past three years. The centre has not been in operation as the building allocated is to be converted into the War Room and councillor’s office.

Councillor Lungile said that the offi ce was only renovated in 2012, and there was a resolution taken by the municipality to turn it into a War Room and councillor’s office. However, she said there is a building that can be made a media centre, which is larger than the War Room. There are many people in Sithembile now, and the office is too small for those purposes. According to a document of the minutes of a Council meeting, handed to the community in the meeting, it indicates that a resolution was taken by the Endumeni Council in December, 2010 to give the building to the Durban University of Technology to use it as a media centre. A further R400 000 was allocated to the ward, and an estimated R100 785,90 was to be used to install an alarm system, electrical needs, air conditioning, wheel chair ramp, blinds, toilets, burglar guards, carports and paving around the building by the municipality. Despite the petition handed over to the mayor previously, asking that the building not be occupied until the issue is resolved, it is alleged that the office was opened on February 6. The community however indicated that having a War Room and a councillor’s office has not assisted them in previous years, because the office was only available to certain individuals, serving ‘a certain political party’s’ needs.

Upon the mayor’s arrival the community stated that they were disappointed that Ward Councillor Lungile Mbhele was not present, and that she provided no apology for her absence. It was mentioned that attempts to get in touch with the councillor had been made since the first meeting that took place on February 5, and last Monday, but to no avail. “We phoned Councillor Lungile via the communication office at Endumeni, but she dropped the phone when she heard that it was me speaking,” said one of the concerned community members who arranged the meeting. He further explained that they then asked Mayor Mahaye to invite the councillor on their behalf, which was when Municipal Manager TP Biyela phoned and postponed the meeting to Thursday instead of Wednesday, as requested.

In a meeting with the Courier Councillor Lungile said, “I know nothing about the meeting, and I have not received any letter that invites me to any meeting.” With regards to the phone calls made to her by the people who called the meeting via the communications office on Monday, she said “I did explain to the communications officer that I was in Durban attending a workshop, and will be returning home on Wednesday night, therefore I could not attend that meeting.” Councillor Lungile further stated that on Thursday she asked Speaker Sduduzo Mdluli if there was anyone looking for her, or if there was a letter directed to her, but the speaker said he had not received anything.

Furious community members indicated that it is not the first time that they have conducted a meeting in which such issues have been reported to the authorities, but nothing has ever been done. “We have been played for a very long time by our leaders. It is time Mr Mayor and his councillors take us seriously,” said one young man. Another said: “It feels like us Glencoe residents are being side-lined in everything, because everything now has to be done in Dundee although we have our own municipality.”

Mayor Mahaye was then given the ultimatum to come back with answers to some of the issues raised, and he promised to come back with feedback on February 20. Sithembile community demands answers Residents concerned about issues of service delivery in the area were present at a community meeting in Sithembile.

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button