Local newsLocal sportNewsSport

Dundee July under threat

Local business owners threaten to 'close' the event

The annual Dundee July has been threatened with ‘closure’ after a group of local businessmen vehemently complained that Endumeni companies had been ignored when tenders were called for.

The Dundee July attracts thousands of visitors to the town and tenders were advertised to assist with catering, fencing, sound systems, marquees and more. A meeting of the Dundee Rural Horse Riding Local Organising Committee was interrupted last week when a delegation from the Umzinyathi Business Forum entered the meeting and asked to be given ‘a chance to clarify certain burning issues.’ Mike Mthembu, from the Department of Sport and Recreation, agreed after consulting with others present.

The Forum wanted local people to get first preference when tenders are handed out for the Dundee July. The forum also wants a report as to which ‘service providers’ have been granted tenders. Forum members said if they do not get answers, they will ‘put a stop to the event’.

“We are tired of being fools. We are always promised jobs, only to find that ‘outside people’, as far as Durban and Johannesburg, are benefiting because they pay bribes to the officials,” said one of the members of the Business Forum.

Mr Mthembu asked different departments to respond to the allegations: the Department of Sport and Recreation said they ‘won’t answer on behalf of the procurement office’.

The meeting then called for another meeting where these people (from the procurement office) will be present. Endumeni Municipality was also asked to respond. The Acting Manager, Technical Services Manager, Mzwandile Ntanzi, told the meeting that the adverts had been prepared for those service providers to whom tenders had been awarded to see to the logistical arrangements of the Dundee July. “I hope next time we are not going to repeat the same mistake of not involving local people,” Mr Ntanzi told the meeting. This report caused an uproar and well-known local businessman, Jabulani Khanyile, appealed to all government departments to disclose what they have done in so as far as procurement is concerned. “I am concerned about the local people,” said Mr Khanyile.

Mike Mthembu was also accused of sidelining local businesses. However, the allegation was retracted after local business people confirmed that they were ‘wrongly told about Mr Mthembu’. The Umzinyathi Business Forum was recently launched with S’manga Mabaso, Chairman, Deputy Mr Mlungisi, Secretary, Siqu Zungu, Deputy Secretary, Jabu Sithole, Treasurer, Mofect Mosiya, and assistant, Melusi Ndima.

Mr Zungu told Courier that first priority should be given to local people concerning all projects within the Umzinyathi District. Mr Zungu said this will help ‘the youth to upgrade their businesses’. He said the project to deliver water in the area should also be given to local people.

He further said the private sector should play a ‘very vital role in empowering emerging businesses and also make sure that they support needy families with education by giving them bursaries. “The business sector should also look after the welfare of child-headed families,” he added. The Dundee July will be held over the weekend of July 15-16.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button