CrimeLocal newsNews

Abandoned electrical substation finally locked

A group of men living at the abandoned substation were removed

An electrical substation that was utilised as shelter for a group of homeless people has finally been repaired and locked.

SEE THIS: Residents criticise emergency services’ response time at substation explosion

The substation is located at the corner of Richmond and Clegg roads, and for many months has been a source of discontent for neighbouring homeowners.

A resident from the area (who spoke to the Estcourt News on condition of anonymity for fear of possible retaliation) says there has been a spate of home burglaries in the area.

These alleged crimes are committed during the day and this resident suspects that the group of men living in the substation were responsible.  Recently, a man was spotted concealed in the long grass bordering the substation.

His suspicious behaviour made the family fear the worst, and a private security company was called to search the area and remove the men from the abandoned substation.

“About four adult males have been living here for the past three months. There are break-ins on a daily basis. The municipality should at least cut the grass so they cannot hide there,” said the resident.

These concerns and suggestions were sent to the police and municipal communication department.  While no formal response has been received from the local municipality, it has been noted that a steel door and gate were erected last week and locked.

The resident thinks the nudge from the Estcourt News may have persuaded municipal authorities to finally act.

Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Basheer Khan said last week that the matter was forwarded to the Estcourt station commander. A follow-up request was made on Monday, but no feedback was received.

ALSO READ: Electricity cable thieves strike again

Click to receive news links via WhatsApp. Or for the latest news, visit our webpage or follow us on Facebook and Twitter

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button