Local newsNewcastle Advertiser

Calls for justice for slain young woman

The Madadeni Magistrate's Court was a stage for the demand for justice following the murder of 26-year-old Nokubonga Khumalo

The man accused of her murder, Xolani Vilane, abandoned his bail application, a decision that drew vocal reactions from the courtroom.

The murder has aroused many emotions with the #Justice for Nokubonga campaign trending for the past two weeks.

Nokubonga was murdered in the early hours of March 28.

Outside the courthouse, spirited protesters carrying signs that read “Enough is Enough,” “Justice for Women,” and “Stop Killing.”

Her younger sister, Nosipho Khumalo, struggled to keep her composure as she painted a picture of the woman the community had lost.

“She was kind, warm… she wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Nosipho said. “That’s why the shock has been so great. She didn’t deserve this.”

Nosipho said there was a ‘rocky relationship’ between her sister and Vilane.

  “My family never really liked the accused because he always used to hit her. We were always scared for her – so much so that one day my mother said he would kill her one day and hide her body and look what happened today.

“From what we know, the guy hit her at their house until she died. He then borrowed a car and took her to hospital.”

Local political leaders joined the protest, with Amajuba District’s acting Mayor, Thembelihle Mthembu, condemning the act and urging men to step up as protectors, not perpetrators. “We must reject this violence, completely and publicly,” he told the crowd.

Newcastle Chief Whip of Council, Cllr Zweli Nxumalo, echoed the sentiment.

“We need to send a clear message: Men in Newcastle are meant to protect women, not harm them. GBV is a stain on our community that we must erase together.”

The case had been postponed until May 14 for the state to obtain outstanding warrants, post-mortem results and witness statements.



The news provided to you in this link has been investigated and compiled by the editorial staff of the Newcastle Advertiser, a sold newspaper distributed in the Newcastle area. Please follow us on Youtube and feel free to like, comment, and subscribe.

For more local news, visit our webpage, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and request an add on our WhatsApp (082 874 5550).

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button