Cable theft leaves Ezakheni E-Section community without electricity
Eskom says the substation has been damaged beyond repair and a new one will have to be installed.
Cable theft has left parts of Ezakheni E-Section without electricity, forcing residents to live in darkness and struggle with basic household needs. Power has been off for over a week and community members are at their wits’ end.
Residents say the situation is becoming increasingly difficult, with some unable to cook properly and others losing food because it is spoiling.
The affected area stretches from near the dam towards Ezindlini Ezintsha, extending to the community hall.
According to Ward 8 Councillor Vusi Memela, the problem began when electricity went off on Tuesday last week (August 11). At first, residents thought it was a normal power outage.
“We called Eskom, but they did not arrive until Thursday,” Memela said.
Substation damaged beyond repair
When Eskom inspected the substation in the area, technicians reportedly discovered that cables had been removed and that the substation had been extensively damaged.
Memela said Eskom informed the community that the damage was too severe for the existing infrastructure to be repaired and that a new substation would be required.
Memela added that residents have been without electricity since the incident.
On Monday this week (August 17), Eskom returned to the area, accompanied by security personnel, and indicated that an investigation would have to be conducted. A criminal case has also reportedly been opened.
Eskom estimates that it could take about two months to resolve the problem.
Residents call for urgent intervention
Memela held a meeting with affected residents yesterday (August 18), where the community called for Eskom representatives to attend future engagements.
He said residents have technical questions they cannot answer and want Eskom to explain the repair process and expected timeframe.
Community members also highlighted the financial burden caused by the prolonged power outage. Some households are spending extra money on coal and firewood to cook, while others are losing food stored in refrigerators and freezers.
Residents are calling for urgent action, warning that the situation will become even more serious if the electricity supply is not restored soon.
Click to receive news links via WhatsApp Channel. Or for the latest news, visit our webpage or follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Join us there!


