CrimeNewsUpdate

UPDATE: Attempted robbery turns to shooting in CBD

Police confirmed a suspect was injured in an attempted robbery that turned into a shoot-out with the victim.

A suspected robber was shot and injured by one of his victims during an attempted robbery in the CBD on Wednesday afternoon (25 July).

The incident took place on the corner of Main Reef Road and 6th Street.

Captain Appel Ernst, the Randfontein Police spokesperson confirmed, “It is alleged the victims – a couple – withdrew a substantial amount of money at a financial institution earlier in the afternoon and it was in the woman’s handbag.”

She said they concluded their business and were approaching their parked vehicle when they were approached by four unknown men who climbed out of a black Volvo.

“The men were armed and they were pointing their firearms at the couple. They attempted to rob them of the handbag with the cash inside. The man was able to fire one shot in the direction of the suspects, hitting one of them,” Ernst said.

Another spent cartridge at the crime scene. Photo: Jaco-Mari Futcher.

She added the suspects retaliated but fortunately did not hit anyone. The suspects then fled to their vehicle and sped off.  The robbery was unsuccessful and they did not take anything from the victims.

“The Randfontein Police request that any person who might seek medical attention for a gunshot wound, be reported to Crime Stop on 08600 10111. Information may be given anonymously,” Ernst concluded.

More spent cartridges at the crime scene. Photo: Jaco-Mari Futcher.

Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at randfonteinherald@caxton.co.za  (please remember to include your contact details in the email) or phone us on 011 693 3671.

For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister newspaper websites

Roodepoort Record

Krugersdorp News 

Get It Joburg West Magazine

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages to let your voice be heard!

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Randfontein Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Clinton Botha

For more than 4 and a half years, Clinton Botha was a journalist at Roodepoort Record. His articles were regularly published in the Northside Chronicle now known as the Roodepoort Northsider. Clinton is also the editor of Randfontein Herald since July 2020. As a sports fanatic he wormed his way into various "beats - as the media would know it - and admits openly that his big love always have something to do with a scoreboard, crowds and usually a ball that hops.

Related Articles

Back to top button