CrimeNews

Motorist tricked into stopping, then robbed

Four armed robbery suspects tricked a motorist into stopping his vehicle before robbing him in Aureus.

Four armed robbery suspects tricked a motorist into stopping his vehicle before robbing him in Aureus earlier this week.

Although one of the suspects was arrested, the other three are still at large.

This comes merely a week after the Herald and the police urged the community to be extra vigilant and not fall prey to bogus cops.

Also Read:

What to do in an armed robbery or hostage situation

“It was alleged by the 46-year-old complainant that he and two friends were driving along Mercedez Benz Street in Aureus on their way to Captain Liquor in the afternoon of Sunday, 25 November, when they were approached by four people in a vehicle,” said Constable Carmen Hendricks, Randfontein Police spokesperson.

The perpetrators were driving a red Ford Fiesta with registration number CZ 48 PP GP.

The driver of the Ford indicated that the victims had a flat tyre. He then stopped at the side of the road to check the tyre. While checking the tyre, he was threatened with a firearm and then robbed of his cash.”

The perpetrator then got back in his vehicle and drove away.

Hendricks confirmed that a 39-year-old man was later arrested for armed robbery as his identity was known to the victim, but the other suspects are still unknown and at large.

Fortunately, no shots were fired and no injuries were sustained.

Brigadier Jacob Manamela, the Randfontein Police station commander, expressed his gratitude to the members for their swift reaction in arresting the perpetrator, and said the others will surely follow.

The Randfontein Police detectives are requesting the public to come forward with any information that can assist them in this case. They can be contacted on 011 278 8100.

Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at randfonteinherald@caxton.co.za  (please remember to include your contact details in the email) or phone us on 011 693 3671.

For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister newspaper websites

Roodepoort Record

Krugersdorp News 

Get It Joburg West Magazine

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages to let your voice be heard!

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Randfontein Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Clinton Botha

For more than 4 and a half years, Clinton Botha was a journalist at Roodepoort Record. His articles were regularly published in the Northside Chronicle now known as the Roodepoort Northsider. Clinton is also the editor of Randfontein Herald since July 2020. As a sports fanatic he wormed his way into various "beats - as the media would know it - and admits openly that his big love always have something to do with a scoreboard, crowds and usually a ball that hops.

Related Articles

Back to top button