CrimeNews

Major Sassa fraud bust at two R’fontein malls

Local police made a big bust regarding fraudulent Sassa cards yesterday, arresting 11 people at various malls in Randfontein.

Five women and six men were arrested when they were caught with 750 Sassa grant cards during two operations held this week.

During the first operation at Village Square Mall, four suspects were arrested for being in possession of Sassa grant cards at about 9.45am on Wednesday, 12 December.

Constable Carmen Hendricks, Randfontein Police spokesperson, said the Krugersdorp Trio Task Team received information that suspects with cloned Sassa grant cards were heading towards Randfontein.

“They followed up on the information and found three men and one woman with a box of cloned Sassa cards. The box contained 250 cards. The suspects were arrested and taken to the Randfontein Police cells,” she said.

Five women and six men were arrested when they were caught with 750 Sassa grant cards in Randfontein. Photo submitted.

More information regarding cloned Sassa cards came to light on the same day.

“They received information that more Sassa grant cards were supposed to be delivered to the woman who had already been arrested. A further operation was conducted at Tambotie Mall at about 3.30pm.

Two vehicles were searched. These vehicles were used in the commission of the crime. During the search, 500 more Sassa grant cards were discovered,” Hendricks said.

During the last operation, four women and three men were arrested and also taken to Randfontein Police cells.

Hendricks added that according to the senior manager of the Post Office and Post Bank, they have already lost an undisclosed amount of Sassa money. The 11 suspects will be appearing before the Randfontein Magistrates’ Court soon.

Brigadier Mashole Jacob Manamela, the Randfontein Police station commander at one of the vehicles involved in the crimes. Photo: Jaco-Mari Futcher.

The investigation into this matter will continue.

Brigadier Mashole Jacob Manamela, the Randfontein Police station commander, showed his gratitude towards the members involved for the huge success. He also thanked the community who provided the information to the police and reminded the community that they can give information anonymously.

“Together we can make a difference,” he said.

Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at randfonteinherald@caxton.co.za  (please remember to include your contact details in the email) or phone us on 011 693 3671.

For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister newspaper websites

Roodepoort Record

Krugersdorp News 

Get It Joburg West Magazine

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages to let your voice be heard!

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Randfontein Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Clinton Botha

For more than 4 and a half years, Clinton Botha was a journalist at Roodepoort Record. His articles were regularly published in the Northside Chronicle now known as the Roodepoort Northsider. Clinton is also the editor of Randfontein Herald since July 2020. As a sports fanatic he wormed his way into various "beats - as the media would know it - and admits openly that his big love always have something to do with a scoreboard, crowds and usually a ball that hops.

Related Articles

Back to top button