MunicipalNews

UPDATE: Municipality reacts to Mohlakeng residents’ protests

Municipality confirmed the issue is about electrification but that protests still went ahead even after their intentions of delivery was communicated to community leaders a day before.

Tshidiso Thlaripe, Rand West City Local Municipality (RWCLM) spokesperson has responded after Mohlakeng Extension 5 residents embarked on a protest early Friday morning.

The Herald reported earlier and according to Kenny Mampondo, chief of the Rand West City Traffic Department that the protest was peaceful, but the authorities had to intervene as it disrupted the traffic. One of the residents of the area, Chidiso Sehlangwe, said the protest was due to the municipality’s failure to keep its promise to provide electricity to the area.

Mohlakeng residents angered by non-delivery of electricity

Thlaripe said, “As part of the background, the municipality had appointed a contractor for the electrification of 1 620 stands in Mohlakeng Ext 5 and thus far, 400 houses have already been connected. Progress regarding the electrification of the area had been registered and the only outstanding part is the installation of electricity switching station and connection to the remaining houses.”

He added that the leadership of the municipality met with the angry residents and addressed the following issues:

1. That the contractor will take site today (12 April),
2. That the contractor will from 12 April and tomorrow, 13 April deliver material and,
3. The contractor will from next Monday, 15 April resume with the work.

We discourage community leaders to organise demonstrations while we have communicated our intentions of delivery to them.”

He said that Mzi Khumalo, the Executive Mayor of the RWCLM, had communicated with the leadership of Mohlakeng Extension 5 and relayed all the intentions on the electrification of the area to them on Thursday, 11 April.

“Mysteriously, the community still continued to demonstrate while the message had been communicated to them. We importantly also want to apologise to the community of Mohlakeng for the disruption that took place today, 12 April. We duly apologise for the inconvenience it might have caused to the community.”

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Randfontein Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Clinton Botha

For more than 4 and a half years, Clinton Botha was a journalist at Roodepoort Record. His articles were regularly published in the Northside Chronicle now known as the Roodepoort Northsider. Clinton is also the editor of Randfontein Herald since July 2020. As a sports fanatic he wormed his way into various "beats - as the media would know it - and admits openly that his big love always have something to do with a scoreboard, crowds and usually a ball that hops.

Related Articles

Back to top button