News

Illegal occupation fears flare after veld fire at Garstkloof landfill

Following another fire at the closed Garstkloof landfill site, residents say the city's failure to address illegal occupation is putting nearby communities, wildlife, and the environment at risk.

Residents in Moreleta Park, Wingate Park and Erasmuskloof are calling on the Tshwane Metro to urgently address the illegal occupation of the closed Garstkloof landfill site after a grass fire swept through the site on August 18.

The fire, which started on the old school grounds earmarked for Laerskool Elarduspark, before spreading to the closed landfill site, was successfully contained by Tshwane Emergency Services.

However, smoke from the smouldering grass spread across nearby suburbs, raising concerns among residents about air quality.

Tshwane Emergency Services spokesperson Nana Radebe-Kgiba said the department received reports of the grass fire at the closed landfill site on Delmas Road during the afternoon of August 18.

“Resources were immediately dispatched to the scene,” said Radebe-Kgiba.

“Fortunately, members worked hard to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to nearby properties.”

She confirmed that firefighters remained on site to monitor the situation and ensure the blaze was fully under control.

According to Shawn Fouché, spokesperson for the Lyttelton Sector Four Community Policing Subforum, the fire originated on the school grounds before spreading into the closed landfill site.

“Although the fire looked severe because of the long, dry grass, the Fire Department managed to bring it under control and continued monitoring the scene,” she said.

“I was on site and confirmed with the fire department that the situation was under control.”

Fouché said the incident once again highlighted the need for the metro to deal with the illegal occupation of the property.

“This is exactly why the people occupying the grounds should be removed and the landfill site properly decommissioned,” she said.

“It is happening more and more often and is placing the lives of those illegally occupying the land at risk.”

She said no injuries had been reported, although firefighters chased several illegal occupants out of the area while battling the blaze.

Fouché added that residents remain concerned about the broader impact of the continued occupation.

“It is not only a safety issue. It is also a health risk for people living in the surrounding suburbs and for the wildlife that lives in the veld.”

Residents believe the recurring fires are linked to people illegally occupying the site, alleging that open fires used for cooking and keeping warm are increasing the risk of veld fires.

Fire spreading near the Garstkloof landfill site. Photo: Supplied

Many residents have taken to social media, warning that the dry season could result in more frequent fires and increased air pollution if the occupation of the site is not addressed.

Residents have previously raised concerns about illegal occupation of both the school grounds and the closed landfill site, alleging that parts of the perimeter fencing have been damaged, allowing unrestricted access to the property.

It is also alleged that wildlife in the adjacent nature reserve has been targeted through the use of illegal snares by illegal occupants.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Itumeleng Mokoena

Itumeleng Mokoena is a skilled journalist with experience in investigative reporting, interviewing, photography, and writing accurate news. Based at Pretoria Rekord East, he covers various beats and is dedicated to informing and educating the community. With a diploma from Tshwane University of Technology and previous experience at Lowveld Media, he is a passionate and hardworking journalist.
Back to top button