Local newsNewsUpdate

Soshanguve mall reopens

Centre management confirmed that the mall was back in operation.

The Soshanguve Crossing mall has reopened for business.

This came after Soshanguve residents protested outside the mall last Wednesday, demanding that shops employ local residents.

On Tuesday morning, all shops at the mall were open again while police kept watch.

The centre management confirmed to Rekord that the mall had reopened, but declined to say whether an agreement had been reached with the residents.

Residents said they were told locals would benefit even before construction of the multimillion rand project got underway.

Resident Bonolo Hlahla said: “They said local residents, especially unemployed youth, were going to be beneficiaries of the project.”

The mall was officially opened in 2014.

Two years down the line, residents were complaining most of the people working at the different shops in the mall were outsiders.

This has triggered a protest by locals who were expecting employment after the completion of the mall.

Elsie Motaung said: “We were misled into believing that over 2 000 people would be employed once the mall was completed. But the ray of hope was dashed.”

She said many qualified, unemployed youth in Soshanguve were struggling to find jobs.

Residents were up in arms and they protested at the entrance, calling on the people to boycott the mall.

Protesters accused the owners of the mall of putting profit before the plight of local residents.

Also read:

Soshanguve mall closed as residents protest over jobs

Three men wanted for armed robbery in Soshanguve

Heavy police presence around townships

 

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 072 435 7717.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button