Anika Smit murder: ‘Smiley’ walks free for now
“Charges were provisionally withdrawn against Van Wyk by the Pretoria director of public prosecutions having considered the clinical psychologist’s report on Van Wyk’s mental state and the evidence provided in court.”
A man who handed himself over to police in 2016 in connection with the murder of Anika Smit is now free.
Andre van Wyk, also known as Smiley, appeared in the Pretoria North Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, where he was facing charges of murder, rape and necrophilia (engaging in sexual intercourse with a corpse).
All the charges were withdrawn against Van Wyk, who had been in police custody since September 2016.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson advocate Luvuyo Mfaku said the decision was made by the Pretoria director of public
prosecutions.
ALSO READ: Pretoria man wanted for rape
“Charges were provisionally withdrawn against Van Wyk by the Pretoria director of public prosecutions (DPP) having considered the clinical psychologist’s report on Van Wyk’s mental state and the evidence provided in court,” said Mfaku.
“The DPP decided all charges be provisionally withdrawn while the inquest proceeds,” said Mfaku.
Van Wyk and Smit were learners at Gerrit Maritz high school in Pretoria North.
Prosecutor Tania Carstens previously argued that further evaluation of Van Wyk was necessary before the DPP could make a final decision on whether to prosecute him.
ALSO READ: Rape case against ANC councillor postponed
Smit was found dead, raped and mutilated in her father’s house in Theresa Park.
The inquest continues.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
