Fort Klapperkop stables targeted
The theft of trailer tyres, copper bridles, motorcycles and dog poisonings have been reported at Klapperkop Stables since access to the site was restricted.
The new security measures at Fort Klapperkop have driven crime against visitors down but the horse stables are now being targeted.
Klapperkop stables manager Sulette Pottas said four incidents had been reported since the curfew to restrict access to the site was implemented.
She said recently horse trailer tyres and a motorcycle were stolen from the premises.
ALSO READ: Fort Klapperkop to be more secure
Pottas said there were also two incidents of dog poisoning, and poison was being put out for the pets.
Four cases, two of theft and two of dog poisoning have been opened with the Sunnyside police but no arrest has been made yet.
The one dog ingested the poison three weeks ago and spent a day at a veterinary clinic.
“On Wednesday, 3 October he ingested poison again that we suspect was still left from the previous incident and had to be rushed to the vet clinic where he was fighting for his life and thankfully recovered.”
“The closure of the gates did not cause the criminal offences, it just shifted the focus from people at the viewpoints to the stables.”
Pottas recently offered seven stables as well as office space for the Tshwane metro police department (TMPD) to use as a permanent base at the fort to assist in patrolling the entire area, surrounding neighbourhoods and the fountains circle, which was infamous for smash and grab incidents during peak hour traffic.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: Fort Klapperkop ‘gang’ nabbed
Pottas said with the permanent presence of the TMPD offenders may now think twice before planning or committing a crime in the patrolled area.
“Police vehicles do patrol the reserve from time to time, however, much more police vehicles and private security firms were spotted before the closure of the gates.
The reserve houses about 27 horses and six employees, about whose safety Pottas said she was concerned.
Ward 59 councillor Shaun Wilkinson said the move was a vital one and would most likely drive out crime on the site completely.
ALSO READ: Limited access to Fort Klapperkop soon a reality
He also revealed that operations would be conducted on the hill to prevent crime displacement.
Wilkinson urged visitors to be cautious, “use a form of a buddy system” and let a friend know when they visited the site.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
